How To: Build a Gamified Glide App (updated 10/6/20)

Already added these features! Thank you @Robert_Petitto

I wanna add a button to give points for behavior. I’m planning on using an Increment action.

Should I add a new number column to the user profile and the values in that column added to the total XP math? Or do you have a different way?

Thanks!

That would be the easiest way…yes. Unless you want a record/log of the awarded points. In that case, use a form button to a new sheet and then do a relation/rollup that will be added to the math column. I plan on making a video on admin functionality (this included) in one of my next segments.

1 Like

Thanks man!

With this second idea, now I’m thinking I could add behavior badges to that record/log.

I’m going to try and do this and see how it goes.

Are you planning on showing how to do the in-app Store?

Thanks!

I sure am! I think that’s going to be my next video :wink:

1 Like

I can’t wait!!!

1 Like

Gamify your Glide App #5: Item Store and Inventory

The one you’ve been waiting for!

Create an in-app shop that accepts in-app currency, restrict items by balance, rank and inventory slots available, add inventory boosts by leveling up.

7 Likes

You are a Gem Robert. Love :heart: from India :india:

1 Like

Great video @Robert_Petitto!

Thanks again!

1 Like

Great videos @Robert_Petitto I’m not building exactly this format but enormously helpful for components/features of what I’m building.
Quick question:
I’m having users submit information but they can’t see any more information in the app until I approve their participation. Currently what I have is that until they’ve been approved, they can’t see any of the other tabs. When they fill out their profile, the messaging changes so that rather than “welcome” information, they get new “rich text” telling them that we’ll be in touch and will approve them later (and an e-mail address if they have questions). Once they are approved, the tab switches to their profile (with information input) along with showing the additional tabs that they can use.
I like the approach for graying out the submission button, but do you see a specific advantage or disadvantage to graying out versus the approach I took? I’ve had some friends test it out and there’s been some glitching that could be problematic if it continues (I think I’ve cleared them out).

I don’t see any issue with what you’re doing. That’s the beauty of Glide: there are many ways to achieve the same functionality…all depends on what you want re. UI/UX.

2 Likes

Hey @Robert_Petitto! I added gold and diamonds as currency. I want to have some items worth just gold, others gold and diamond and others just diamonds.

Any ideas on how I could accomplish this?

I am hitting a walk on that one.

Thanks!

Certainly possible… You’d just need to

1. have an additional column for cost in the store,
  2. two if/then/else columns that checks against both balances for user (eg. true if enough gold and true if enough diamonds)
  3. a third template column that checks for the other two (if enoughGold is false then false, if enoughDiamonds is false then false, else true).

Use this third if-then-else to allow users to purchase the item (sets conditional value of buy button in store).

1 Like

I’ll try this and let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

Edit: Thanks @Robert_Petitto that works well!!!

1 Like

Well done @Robert_Petitto

1 Like

Gamify your Glide App #6: Crafting New Items using Inventory Items

Craft new items using the items in your inventory—a bit complex, but worth the effort!

6 Likes

Great!! This is a whole new feature!!!

You rock @Robert_Petitto

1 Like

Watching more than my Netflix account :popcorn: :rofl:

3 Likes

Gamify your @glideapps App #7: Manually Award Points!

Need to manually award XP, Gold or Health to your players? Check out this latest video to learn how!

4 Likes

Gamify your Glide App #8: Manually award badges and items

As an admin, manually award badges to your users’ profiles and items to your users’ inventories.

5 Likes

Gamify your Glide App #9: View Recently Used Items

Create an Admin panel to view recently used/played items from your users. This tutorial uses Google Scripts to insert a timestamp whenever an item is used (marked true). Check the video description for the script!

4 Likes