Help please - App logic for app sign-in

Hi,

Could I ask for a bit of app/spreadsheet logic help that I’m struggling to get my head around?

I have an app (public with email). The app contains information about different organisations and I only want data pertinent to a specific org to show.

The user logging in could be anyone (I.e. I can’t create a table of users to orgs) so I can’t preempt the user by their email address.

I also can’t just have a dropdown list of the different orgs at first login as I need to keep this information private, and I don’t really want to just show a list of PINs as this would allow users to login as a different org easily.

I’m thinking that I can set and publish a 4 digit PIN by org and then have a screen that prompts new users to type in the 4 digit PIN that they have been sent, and then behind the scenes I am able to relate this PIN to an organisation and then only display the data relating that the correct org.

However I can’t get my head around the logic of how I structure the spreadsheet logic to
1 - validate that the user has entered a valid PIN, and how I relate this back to the visibility of the PIN component
2 - how to use the App: Logins tab to record/use the users PIN for this validation

Afraid I can’t share the app yet as it’s still in development.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Phil,

I think the PIN approach is gonna be too complex to handle.

Do the organizations have their own email format.

For example: jack@google.com, dan@yahoo.com, phil@glide.com?

Can you ask them to sign in with their work email, then you can use an ARRAYFORMULA to extract the relevant data to “label” the organizations.

Let me know how I can help you with this.

Hi,

No sorry - The users could be from anywhere with any email address so I can’t go down that route I’m afraid.
It’s more of a customer logging in to the app to see a specific client information, but with the app containing multiple clients.

1 Like

Here’s a similar thought on this.

1 Like

Is the client information confidential? If not you could just use a drop down list and allow them to select from that. If it is confidential then make your home screen a user form where they register and in the registry have them identify the client they are needing to view. When the form is submitted you can use the client they identified and make only that client info visible via the component tab. In addition to the form as part of the homescreen give a option to login where they submit login information and the screen it takes them to would be a screen that does the same thing, it uses the login info to determine visibility. And of course if they login without any login nothing would be visible. In that case I would have a statemtn that shows up that jut says wrong login info.

Thanks Jeff. I’ve had a skip read through that and I’ll have a proper read through tomorrow when I’m back on it.

1 Like

Hi Jeff,

I’ve had a proper read and think through this and have been trying to implement this type of solution for the past few hours.
I think I can work through the visibility functionality once a user has been validated past the login phase however I can’t get my head around the logic required to validate a 4-digit PIN, especially if someone enters an incorrect PIN.
Are you aware of another app somewhere that has a form of initial screen login validation logic within it?

Thanks

Hi Jeff,

I’m sorry - I just can’t get my head around this and pulling what little hair I have out!
I keep thinking I’m getting there but then get pushed backwards. It’s the PIN validation aspect I’m struggling with.
I have set it up so that the user has to enter a PIN which goes against their profile however the PIN entry keeps just overwriting the first user rather than entering the value against the relevant users email address.
I set this up as a number entry field rather than a form as I though the logic to validate the PIN against a record field rather than a form would be easier.
Am I missing something obvious as to why the entered PIN doesn’t get entered against the logged in user?

Thanks

The pin is most likely overwriting the first row because you are not filtering your detail layout by signed in user. The detail style layout will attach to the first matching record. If you have no filters set, then that will be the first row. Add a filter by signed in user to the entry field will fill the correct row.

Thanks Jeff. That was it!

Now onto resolving the filtering/visibility of info by app user Vs PIN!

1 Like