Group teams together

Hello everyone! I’m new and have read extensively through the forum, taken the learn video courses and read docs but still can’t seem to find an answer to this basic query so forgive in advance if this has been answered before many times. But I want to replicate the experience we all had with Zoom meetings during pandemic, but on a Glide apps format, which is I would like to have the admins (aka Zoom meeting host) create little team breakout groups. So only the admins level would have this ability (only mentioning this since other posts took me to more “tinder style” matching which gives user ability to filter, not admin) to pair up small groups of users from our organisation into teams based on a column in our sheet that would have a designated keycode. For example column would have code A, B, or C and all As grouped together, all Bs, and so on. Then on the user side, when they login, they will have a tab page that shows their group for that month or year which displays users in the group. This would be amazing for study groups but I cannot figure out how to accomplish and I know its probably simple.

How can I create this on my sheet and on the new tab that will show the filtering? Super non-techy beginner friendly explanation if you can :slight_smile:
Thanks so much!

Oh forgot to mention…since I gathered that there are no push notifications, is it possible to do an email alert that notifies users of their new group and includes link in email that will take them directly to the new group tab page I’m trying to create? Or an alert that is waiting for them when they login? Any variation would be great

• Create a Groups table that has just a single column with one row for each group
  • In that table, create a multiple relation column that matches the group name to the group name in your Users table
  • Build a screen on top of your groups table.
  • Set the filter to be “group name is user profile → group name”. This will ensure that each user lands on the correct screen once they sign in. Assuming of course that you have user profiles correctly configured.
  • To show a list of users for the group use an inline list or collection component and set the source as the multiple relation column created in step 2.

That could be done as an action when groups are edited/updated.

1 Like

It worked it worked it worked!! This is the first single thing I’ve successfully accomplished since joining. Thank you for the non-techy language. I feel so excited to show my partner. Spent a year trying different tools to do this one thing since quarantine. So thank you again, really saved me!

1 Like

Also must shout out Jesus, Grumo and Robert! Their videos (hours of video) helped me understand relations. Before that I couldnt understand reading most the topic responses here. Some of us went to art school haha and can’t keep up with all tech lingo but want to be empowered to build helpful things :slight_smile: Thanks again!

Well done :slight_smile:

Yup, these guys (and others) are the giants that we mere mortals get to stand on the shoulders of.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.