Group Invitations

This column here :point_down:

Screen Shot 2022-12-03 at 4.56.37 PM

Somewhere in that table you’ll have a column that takes the email address of the currently signed in user, and adds it to that list. So in step 1 that I gave you, you’d use that column to update the contents of this Participants column. That adds them to the chat group.

For step 2, it’s a matter of changing their current view so that they see the same thing as the others that are already in the chat. There could be any number of ways that is setup, so it’s a bit difficult (ie. basically impossible) for me to give you step by step instructions.

2 Likes

Ok let me try that now and see what comes about! :slight_smile:

Ok got it! Almost there. See screenshots. So this is the last part…
I had to re-add all the details from my old groups sheet to a new sheet because it wouldn’t let me do data relation otherwise. Now that I have that I can add participants email to the column you mentioned which should acknowledge the other formulas pre-existing that I setup from Bob’s video. But theres an error…

So the last step you said “For the second, it depends where the starting point is. But what you should be able to do is build a single relation to the chat row, and then do a Show Detail Screen via that relation.” That is where I am unsure what is happening because when I view as one of the users and click Enter Chat button, it does finally work but it “only” adds them to the chat. When I view as another user it only adds them even though I entered the chat as a another user moments before. Technically should be 2 participants at that point, but its only ever just 1. You can see on my sheet thats reflected as well. It erases the previous user from list of participants and replaces it with themselves instead of adding to the list. Including my custom action in case thats part of the issue as well.

Yes, the problem is with your action. You’re overwriting the Participants list with a single email address. There should be another column in that table somewhere that includes the existing participants list, with the current users email address tagged on the end. This is the column you should be using in the Set Column Values action to update the participants list.

1 Like

Aha, its always my actions! Im new to custom actions so still learning :slight_smile:
Ok here you go! These are the columns set up following the video tutorials, which do you reckon is the one I need for set values? I thought it was the main Participants column…but let me know what Im missing

I’m not 100% certain, but I think it might be this one… (the last column)

Screen Shot 2022-12-04 at 12.14.14 AM

It should have exactly the same list of emails as the Participants column, plus the email address of the user you are viewing as.

Just to be clear - your action should update the Participants column, but using the value in the above column (assuming it’s the correct column).

1 Like

@Robert_Petitto Can i tag you on this since its your template? :slight_smile: Its not working for me…do I add another column for this like a duplicate column or am I missing a step?

I’ll try to take a look later today…weekends are sacred family time. Thanks!

1 Like

Absolutely! I dont get to see my family until Xmas so working weekends has become a bad habit! :slight_smile: Just tagged so i wouldnt forget.

Hi Bob! @Robert_Petitto I tried to do this on my own, but a week later still in the same place. I figured out the join participants relation. But I am now trying to give a public group chat option. Meaning, originally on your template, you can create a new group chat and select participants. Thats perfect and I have that working well! But for our meetings, we have event pages for each meeting and this is the part I struggle with Glide so far. Each screen has to have a main source. So our events page (with the Events table as the source) shows detail screens for each meeting event. Which means the button I added to the meeting event screen to be able to enter a public chat with all attendees doesnt work because I cant select the Group Chat sheet as the source for the button. Have no clue yet how to get around this :frowning:

To recap goal im seeking is: I dont want need a chat creation button, I just need the button to directly add the current signedin-user to a group chat that others can join by clicking the same button when they are signed in.

Also thank you @Darren_Murphy you were right and I was adding to the wrong column. I had to configure the joinmerge one :slight_smile:

I’m not completely following this thread. What is the button supposed to do? Sounds like you maybe need a single relation for the button to refer to, but first I would need to understand what action you are trying to call with that button.

Hi Jeff! Button= to be able to enter a public chat with all attendees. A group chat with “only” meeting attendees who are rsvp as going.

“Be able to enter a public chat” doesn’t tell me much. You mentioned that you want your button to be sourced from the Group Chat table.
Sourced how…for what? What commands is the button supposed to execute? Open a new screen? Open a detail screen? Open a form? Add a row? Set a column value? A combination of multiple actions? A button can do a lot of things. What I’m asking is, what is it specifically supposed to do? Rereading your previous post, I am assuming that you want to use a Set Column action, or a custom action with a Set Column action followed by a Show New Screen or Show Detail screen action. Like I mentioned in my previous post, if you have a single relation linking the Event table to the Group Chat table. One you have that relation, then there are things that your button can do using that relation.

@joneseybur

Question for you:

1 Like

I appreciate the thoroughness but that was overwhelming. As someone who is brand new to not just Glide but also formulas and math and tech, I dont have all the answers because sometimes I dont even know the right question. I just know the result and seek help to get there. I thought it was simple enough asking how do you create a group chat with specific users who have attended a meeting. Anything else i would need to know more expertise to answer you. Thanks!

Hey Bob, yay thank you so much!! Yes that is the template I purchased from you and it was a great help :slight_smile: And yes to answer, that is exactly what I am trying to do. To create a chat that is more like a forum. Anyone who clicks on the button can enter the chat. Ideally I would want it to also correlate so that “only” the users who attended the meeting can enter the chat. But I am on a time crunch so if that is more time consuming to answer, Im okay with just a public chat that anyone can enter. Meaning, they click a button and land on a chat screen…no creation by a true “owner” if that makes sense or needing to manually add participants themselves. Hope thats clear. Thanks!!

Easy then. Just ignore all of the relations, splits and joins:

1 Like

Ok that is great news because that should simplify things then! So I hope this doesnt sound too dense, but I still kind of have the same question. Screenshot just in case its needed. So on my event page (one of many event pages…each meeting has its own event page) there will be a button. What custom action do I create for the button then? I only ask again because since each meeting has its own group chat I want to make sure my message didnt make it seem like its one evergreen forum. It still would be one chat per meeting.
Thank you!!
Screenshot 2022-12-09 5.01.46 PM

Like this?