Glide's Community Built Messenger

That’s awesome!

Yeah, it’s hard to come into a project cold. My top concern and priority is the performance because if that can’t be overcome, the current implementation is a non-starter.

Check it out and LMK what ya think. Happy to answer any questions.

1 Like

You’ll do fine. I’m excited to see what you add to it.

1 Like

Just wanted to check back in here… Anyone wanna have a go with where I left off?

I owe you an apology. I was fully intending to take a look at this, but I’ve been totally swamped the past few weeks. I’m still keen, but really struggling to be able to allocate any time at the moment.

2 Likes

Tell me more about this history recall :grinning:

Trying to figure out this part:

How does this action clear the value? I still see the message in the row.

Are you clearing current row?

No worries, I totally understand.

The scripting to clear out old chats will certainly be needed but I think the performance issues are actually a higher priority.

What do you guys think?

It seems like its clearing the row on the user side??, but the message on the builder side is still there. Which I what I would want.

How does Glide know what data to display (name and avatar) I am getting stuck at this part in my build. Or more along the lines of knowing if its the sender or recipient who is typing the message. Right now I type a message from both the sender and recipient side, only the sender’s information is displayed. Some emails also have multiple business tied to them.

I’ve been using the code to place the text entry component at the bottom, however I came to find out that it doesn’t show on Iphones, I guess is too low on the screen. I tried to place it higher up, but no luck, did you guys face this issue?

I did not test this on iphone yet, I’m mostly on PC and android. I would ask @Jeff_Hager if he has a quick fix. he is amazing in that area.

1 Like

I don’t have an iphone, so it would be hard for me to verify. I know we struggled with placement and different screen sizes. Pinning something to the top of the screen is a lot easier than pinning it to the bottom.

I would like to revisit this though. I have some different ideas, but I’m not sure if they are feasible yet. Maybe this will be my challenge for April, to see if I can come up with a better messenger.

2 Likes

I have been out of pocket for almost a month and haven’t had much time to visit the forums let alone work on my Glide apps. I will hopefully soon have more time to visit and experiment again.

1 Like

Thanks to both of you. I can then tell you that it doesn’t work on phones, or at least iPhone 11 Pro, which is the one I tested with. I have an Android too, and it works perfectly with them.

1 Like

Same :cry:

:grimacing:

Hi guys, this is really awesome. Just a quick question, the template I copied didn’t seem work, I didn’t get message notification on both iPhones. My carrier is AT&T.

Can anyone share the latest template link? Appreciated.

As far as i know, that’s not set up, you’ll have to do that yourself using zapier or other automation tool

It is setup in the scripts you just have to enable the scripts .

1 Like

Hola gente!!! @PabloMFalero and I have a little tweak to to @Lucas_Pires and @Robert_Petitto’s method called Trebuchet to create a comment/chat session in an app.

Here’s a short video of the result in case you haven’t seen it.

Also, @Robert_Petitto mentioned a conversation in which he was informed that on GTable cell can hold up to 1 million characters but a Gsheets cells can only hold up to (correction) 50k characters.

I hope this helps somebody.

4 Likes

It’s actually only 50k for Google sheets.

1 Like