FORM data writing to Glide but NOT to Google Sheet

Very strange. 43s video here https://share.vidyard.com/watch/XxDZxRL3foQ6z88A3FPHDn?

Have You Tried reloading both glide and google sheets

1 Like

Yup! and rebooted my computer, and deleted the tab that isn’t being written to and recreated it.

@Jeff_Hager Have any ideas

1 Like

Can you please share a link to your app and add david@glideapps.com to your sheet so I can take a look?

2 Likes

Done!

My only idea would be to check the bottom of the sheet, but you’ve obviously done that already.

1 Like

I scrolled down to the bottom of your sheet and saw all of the data.

1 Like

Haha

1 Like

you can actually scroll that long

1 Like

Welll, I am really bad at excel and I scrolled down to row 1000 (obviously not far enough). nevertheless, why is it writing way down on the sheet? Did I do something wrong?

The reason is that =ARRAYFORMULA(if(B:B<>"",randbetween(1,10),"")) makes all of the rows that look empty to our eyes, look not-empty to Google Sheet.

Try =ARRAYFORMULA(if(B:B<>"",randbetween(1,10), )) with just empty space instead of "".

More info in our docs: https://docs.glideapps.com/all/guides/quick-starts/getting-started/adding-items#prepare-your-sheet-for-adding-by-deleting-empty-rows

3 Likes

The way I would write your arrayformula:

=ARRAYFORMULA(if(LEN(B2:B) = 0, ,randbetween(1,10)))

Regardless, we suggest deleting all the empty rows Google puts in your sheet by default.

1 Like

Got it. Thank you so much!

So not filling the value for Len 0 takes care of the need to delete empty rows? Never thought of that.

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying @david . I had the same issue with blank rows yesterday and I just deleted the rows. But this explains the reason for blank rows.

I’m going to take a basic course in Excel so I can have an easier time learning Glide. Thanks and sorry for the false bug report! :-)))

The technical explanation is, Glide asks Google Sheets “please add this new row to sheet X” and Google Sheets thinks “I see this sheet has 1000 rows! let me add a new row, #1001” — it’s weird. Google Sheets considers empty rows to be perfectly valid rows.

4 Likes

So that means it counts towards the row limitation by glide ?

No I don’t think it’s that way. Glide still doesn’t count the empty rows, but as David said Google sees them as valid rows and just skips them.

2 Likes