Filter and Propagation issue. Bug?

SEE 3min VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEnqWaJ_lio

Issue 1: When 1 open instance selects a filter setting, it’s forcing itself upon ALL other open instances. Bug?

Issue 2: Using multi-choice for multi-inline list filtering is WRITING to columns. I don’t want it to write. I want it to filter!

App link for testing: https://clean-invention-6193.glideapp.io/

*Note: App is public. No user accounts. Nor should there be.

1. You need to use user specific columns if you don’t want the choice to affect all users.

2. The choice component needs a column to write to. That’s how it’s designed to work. You shouldn’t write it back to the source of the choices. It should have it’s own column.

2 Likes

Thanks Jeff

1: Does making a column user specific require user accounts? This is a public app, no accounts. Requiring user accounts would be UX suicide. Say this ain’t so!

2: Which setting directs where the multi-choice component writes? Can I just bypass by throwing it in a dump column?

1. No, user specific columns don’t require user accounts. If a user is signed in, it will save the value for that user and display across all instances, but only for that user. Each user has a unique experience. If a user is not signed in, then the selection will be cleared the next time they open the app.

2. The Data Column setting is the destination for the selected value. You are writing back to the same column that is also the source of your choices.

Create a new user specific column as your dump column.
Also, instead of multiple lists, I would have a single list filtered by the dump column screen value. It would be a single filter instead of multiple lists with multiple visibility conditions.

2 Likes
2 Likes

@Jeff_Hager You solved it. Thank you so much! I’m going to make a video tomorrow of what changed.

I’ve really struggled to grasp Glide filters. So hopefully a video in this thread can help filters “click” for other newbs.

1 Like

@Jeff_Hager One more Q:

By setting column to user specific, Glide forced row identification.

The data used will be dynamic. IE: The number of rows will constantly increase and decrease. These row identifiers will adjust automatically, correct?

When a new row is added, a new ID is created. And when rows are deleted, the ID will also be deleted? Just double checking.

Yes. Row ID’s are automatic. New Row ID’s generate automatically and become just another column value in your sheet/table. When you delete a row, the Row ID is deleted as well. Glide Tables technically always have them built in regardless if the column is visible or not, but Google Sheets need the Row ID column added for some user specific functions to work properly.

You can use Row ID’s for a lot of things, but in this particular case, Glide needs a way to identify a row when user specific columns are used. Behind the scenes, it’s like there is another hidden table that holds the user specific values for each user and the Row ID is the key to identify and link that row to user specific values in that hidden table. It also allows a row to be moved around if rows above it are added or removed, and it will still know which user specific value belongs to which row.

3 Likes

9min video building filters from scratch here. Hopefully it fills in any missing blanks that I had. I struggled. Thanks @Jeff_Hager

2 Likes

Nice video :+1:

Your next assignment is to do the same thing with a single Inline List, with zero filters and zero visibility conditions :wink:

4 Likes