šŸ†• Event Picker

@Manu.n @Robert_Petitto mmm, thatā€™s a great idea! But by looking at out current calendar below, @Adrianne_Ngam and I, we both look pretty busy working on other important stuff ATM, so Iā€™m not sure when we will be able to start working on a new version for the Calendar Layout view. Weā€™ll keep you both posted though! :wink:

14 Likes

4 Likes

In the first screen, Events view, which is a lot like the Agenda view, if the height of the event can reflect the duration of the meeting, it would be amazing.

If not, I would like to see the time in a row, in the second line so I am reading everything horizontally.

The Calendar view (month navigation) looks brilliant! Love it!

1 Like

@sardamit Thanks for the feedback! For the height of the event rows, let me explain you why we designed it the way we did:

The Calendar view is supposed to be ideal for representing certain things like ā€œevent durationā€ (height) since it handles the hours axis. But this comes with a price: Not being able to render too much or the same amount of information (text) in the many events you may have in there, since right now intervals are 15min long (while a full hour will give you more space to show text).

The Events view is supposed to be optimized for other things that a calendar view is not. For example, overlapping of events is also missing in the Events view (just like duration) in favor or offering a clearer and more simple view of list of items (all of them with the same height) that are grouped by month, day, and ordered by time.

Thatā€™s why we believe offering both UI that behave and display information in a different fashion, is the best solution in here.

Thanks for the feedback on the time labels! We will certainly consider it.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s amazing!!!

Sorry, Iā€™m not clear on what youā€™re trying to do. Could you please share your app, tell me where the Event Picker in question is and how you expect it to work in that case?

1 Like

Sure @mark. URL for use case: https://picker.glideapp.io/

Iā€™m suggesting there are instances when it would be helpful/logical to enable the editing of a date/time value on a tab thatā€™s mapped to a non-source sheet (different from where the original date/time values reside). I understand a lookup column simply ā€œimportsā€ values from one sheet to another. So, on some level, it makes sense that I canā€™t edit a lookup field. But I would expect an editable event picker to be more portable than it seems to be.

In this app example, market dates are submitted via a form (not shown) and are housed in a Dates (record) sheet. That sheet isnā€™t and will not be mapped to any tab in the app. As a consequence, the only way I can represent those dates in an event picker for display (future read only) or editing purposes is in a form (first form button - ā€œEvent Pickerā€).

This is absolutely great. Few questions tho, how to filter out dates and times? For example, once I choose that date and time, I donā€™t want it to show up to other users to avoid confusion. I tried using filter if start date is empty and keeps showing up even though I already chose it!

@Antonio I spy with my little eyeā€¦

5 Likes

Lol, nothing gets past you @Robert_Petitto.

I need to take stock at some point and enjoy whatā€™s been delivered over the past days/weeks/months.

I know however this wonā€™t happen.

As soon as the glide team announces some new feature (or you see it first) Iā€™ll be all over it.

This glide ā€˜thingā€™ is addictive

5 Likes

I knowā€¦I often feel like this after crafting an awesome app.

8 Likes

Oh, I see, you want to be able to write through a Lookup column? I agree that would be nice :wink:

Toss it in the trash heap and start over. :point_left: Thatā€™s me every time a new feature comes out. :joy:

2 Likes

Work in something you likeā€¦ and youā€™ll never sleep anymore :crazy_face: :woozy_face:

4 Likes

Very true

1 Like

AMAZING!!! Iā€™m really excited about too!!!

2 Likes

great

Not quite. I understand very well why lookups cannot be edited. Iā€™m hopeful for an alternative which would make the old date/time and new event pickers valuable somewhere other than in a form esp. given neither picker can be bound to a user-specific column, yet :confused:

oh, no! Did I just leak by accident what design is working on? :smirk:

7 Likes

They should be usable with user-specific columns. Can you tell us how this is not working?