Domain question

I posted this question as a comment on the November 16 video about advances in Glide Pages, but I didn’t get a response so I’m posting here.

I own domains for my glide apps. I see the value of glide pages for the exact administrative purposes demonstrated in the video using the same data source as the app. Do I have to buy new domains for the glide pages? How might I be able to use the app on mobile devices, but have the features of pages on desktop using my purchased domain?

Thanks!

Though I haven’t tried it you should be able to detect the device and OS using this experimental code column. Then use the results in combination with visibility filters/ if-then-else statements

I understand each word you wrote…but not sure I follow your concept. Let me restate what I think you are saying and please let me know if I’m right.

Rather than build a new Glide Pages site, it sounds like you are suggesting I simply use my current Glide App but in its web-based interface adjusting components and using features for the specific web-based experience I am trying to achieve for administrators.

My concern is that Glide Pages seems to have some features that Glide Apps does not. I would really like to use some of those features demonstrated in Glide’s video but they appear to be Glide Pages-specific.

With the introduction of Glide Pages, I wonder if one should:

1. Build using Glide Apps that can also be accessed on the web.
  2. Build using Glide Pages that is also mobile friendly.

Thanks for your input.

Wether you should build your app on Glide Pages or Glide Apps I have no opinion on. I believe the concept I linked to applies to both Pages and Apps.

For example you may want to show or hide a component when someone is on mobile vs. desktop. Again I haven’t tried this but the idea seems simple enough.

component x is visible if User → device → includes → mobile.

Whichever way you choose I wish you great success on your project :clinking_glasses:

I think what you would need is something in the domain settings that would redirect the user to the app or the page based on their user agent or screen resolution. I believe that would have to be determined prior to the url redirecting to either the app or page. The alternative would be separate subdomains for either the app or the page. I’ve never set anything up like that, so I don’t have any detailed advice.

3 Likes

Adding to what Jeff said, here’s a thread talking about how to use window.location for mobile.

2 Likes