Does Glide honor the Data Validations I've configured in Google Sheets?

Hello everyone,

I am wondering if when I set a column in my spreadsheet to contain a data validation (i.e. there’s a pre-defined list of allowed values) the app will pick it up? (i.e. the user creating the record through the app will see the options as a drop-down or similar to check or select?)

Thanks!

No, sorry, Glide is not aware of those.

For only allowing an item from a predefined list, you can use the Choice component.

1 Like

Hi David. Is there a larger description of what spreadsheet attributes (such as validation) that Glide is/is not aware of and is there any under-the-hood detail available that would be of help for an app developer to understand to more fully take advantage of Glide capability?
Thank you.
Best,
John

Glide simply reads the connected spreadsheet and it’s structured data.

If you allow direct entry onto a sheet by other users (so it updates in the app automatically) then you need to optimise that as an entry format too… which may data validation is done at both the sheet and glide app layers.

Things do get a little more cloudy when you start building relations, templates, if—>then—>else (etc) operations on Glide though.

So to answer your query @John_McNulty, consider the data and basic structure across the sheet as the only real attributes you need to worry about… like a simple database.

1 Like

Thank you Paul!
John