Data from a user-specific column into my google sheet?

I have a google sheet with some quite complex calculations, that include 4 data entry cells.
I had it working fine, but then realised that the 4 columns that are for data entry needed to be user-specific.
I know that I cannot change a column in Glide to user-specific once created.
I then created 4 new columns for the data input that are user-specific, but they do not appear in the Google Sheet.

So then I thought if I create new column in the google sheet then I could make them math columns in Glide and then get the data from the new user-specific columns for that data to appear in the Google sheet. they don’t appear in Google sheets.

So my basic question is how do I get user-specific data from Glide into my Google sheet in order that I can perform the calculations…
HELP

What are the calculations that need to be done?
You might find that they can be done in Glide.

The only way to have a “user specific” column in your GSheet is to have a dedicated row for each user. eg your User Profiles sheet, for example.

1 Like

Hi
I have several Glide Tables with user-specific columns that allow users to input a number, it then performs a calculation and shows their own result based on that input, when the calculations are performed with Glide…
What I need to do is to be able to move that input from a user-specific number entry column in Glide into my GS to perform the calculation there instead of inside Glide.
I cannot find a way of passing that data from the user-specific column into a column that was created in GS. If I could make the column that was created in GS into a math column or somehow mirror the data then it would work.
I don’t think that the calculations that I need to perform can be done with Glide - (Googlefinance) hence my need to transfer the number into GS.
HELP !

In order to make columns “user specific” in your Google Sheet, you will need to have a dedicated row for each user.

Probably the best way to do this is to just make it part of your User Profiles sheet.
So…

• Create a column in your User Profiles sheet to hold the input value, and a second column to hold the result (note: these columns should NOT be User Specific)
  • When a user enters the input value, it will sync back to the Google Sheet
  • You then have your formula in the Result column, and the result will sync back to Glide and become available for use.

Note that you will need to ensure that you either:

• a) Have Row Owners enabled, or
  • b) Have a filter applied “where email is signed in user”

…otherwise you’ll have all users writing to the same row and clobbering each others data.

2 Likes

Sorry but I don’t agree!
I have several Glide tables that have a user-specific column and this seems to be enough to allow individual users to enter their data to perform a calculation and another user can be doing the same thing and they do not see the other users input or calculated result.
I do have a user profile table but non of my calculation are carried out within that table!
I test this on a regular basis with two phone entering data at the same time…

What exactly is it that you don’t agree with?

User Specific columns only exist in Glide. This is not an opinion, it is a fact. If you need data from your app to sync back to your Google Sheet, then it must be in a non-computed, non user-specific column. There is no getting around that.

1 Like

That “…otherwise you’ll have all users writing to the same row and clobbering each others data.”
Please don’t take offence at my not agreeing!

All I am trying to do is to pass info from a user-defined column into a column in my GS - there obviously is no way to do this…
The problem that I have is that I need to pass a year and a month into my GS so that it can retrieve the data from. GoogleFinance and I don’t think that it can be done from inside Glide - or can it ?

so, if i put the GOOGLEFINANCE bit into my user profile GS I don’t need user-specific column and it should work?

None taken

Correct.

Edit: Actually, it depends what you mean by that. No, a User Specific column will never sync directly with your Google Sheet. But, you can take a value from a User Specific column and write that value into a basic (non-user specific) column, which will then in turn sync back to your Google Sheet. So yes, it can be done indirectly - and that’s essentially what I described just below :arrow_down:

Yes, it can. A little bit of Glide Date Math will help you there. So to expand on my earlier suggestion, you’ll need a couple of extra columns. Let’s assume your users are entering a date using a date picker component, and the date goes into a column called “Date”…

• Create two math columns, one to extract the year from the date (Year(Date)), and another to extract the month from the Date (Month(Date))
  • Now you need two extra columns in your Google Sheet - one to hold the Year value and one to hold the Month value. (Once again, these cannot be User Specific columns)
  • When your user submits, create an action that takes the values from the two math columns, and writes them to the corresponding Year/Month columns
1 Like

Ok I can see the logic but when a user is in say row 2, and the calculations are performed in row 1 - how can I show the result?

Do have to duplicate the calculations down the sheet - ?

Yeah, you’ll need an arrayformula.

You asked for help with this a couple of days ago, yeah?
If you’re not sure how to create an arrayformula, show me your current formula and I’ll help you convert it.

I just realised something - the result of this formula you are using spans several rows, correct?
That complicates things somewhat…

Yes indeed
…as the result that I am using is in the “Month value” column and that is a lookup of the Close and Month columns.
The info for the close column (52 rows) is using the data collected from GoogleFinance and is specific to the info request Year / Month for each user.

so each time a user put in the year and month, GoogleFinance has to retrieve the data - 52 rows in all. I then LOOKUP to extract the month and the corresponding close figure…

Okay, so I think we’ve been down a bit of an XY rabbit hole here. Might be time to take a step back a little bit. Here is what I understand so far:

• You users will enter a date
  • You need to extract the year and month from that date and pass the values back to your Google Sheet
  • Those values are then passed to a googlefinance formula, and the result of that formula spans 52 rows (one row for each week of the year?)
  • So what needs to happen next?
  • Do you need all 52 rows back in Glide?
  • Or do you need to pick out a specific row/value and send that back to Glide?

If I’m one of your users, and I enter a date, what should I expect to see when the dust has settled?

Hi Daren
Let me make a cut down copy of the app and send you a link to copy - would that help?
Thanks

Sure. I assume you are @baremeter wearing a different suit? :smiley:

Yes
I switched Google accounts but for some reason I’ve logged i may have on a different one
I’ll get it over to you in half an hour - just switched off for lunch and brain cooling !
Mike

Hi Darren
I have made a copy the data that I am using / testing - it is now all in the profile section
when you open the app, to get to the page in question, click on the Baremeter menu tab, then click on “currency calculators and FCD info” and then on "compare £ rates…)
I really do appreciate your assistance

After looking at your app and sheet, I think my suggestion would be to make a static copy of the historical rates in a separate sheet, and then you can do a direct lookup and bypass the googlefinance function.

This suggestion is based on the following observations and assumptions:

• You are only using historical rates, so there is no requirement for “realtime” data
  • You are only doing a single currency to currency comparison
  • You’re just using the rate returned for the first week of of each month
  • As far as I can see, historical rates for GBP to Euro are only available back to about 1999

So… a static copy of the entire historical rate set would occupy around 250 rows in a sheet (12 months x 22 years). If row count isn’t a big problem, you could use that sheet in Glide and then be able to return instant results with a template/relation/lookup column combination.