Creating members and tracking attendance (Scanning)

@jabid … he wants QR code to be a factor for entry… so your solution is not gonna do it

2 Likes

I am happy to pay for a proper solution if it is available, I don’t expect anything for free.

the trick is … you need to have a device id for guests scanning the code… you can get it by using yes code column

Is a yes code column different to a ROW ID?

Row ID is unique to each user no?

SA hire us

This type of platform is also made for people who don’t know anything about coding but make an effort anyway… :smile:you will see you will progress very quickly…
you can also buy the solution and learn about the template you bought…

I’m going to sleep now, but if you can’t find a solution in 12 hours… click that image… and we can start working

I can’t see anywhere that I can buy the solution, I have checked all the templates.

Also I think the fact that I have built this app entirely in less than 2 days is testament to the fact that I am making the effort! :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

1 Like

you can’t buy a solution… you can buy expert time to work on the solution… unless there is a ready template for this issue… then yes… btw your problem triggered me because I use to own an event venue… so I might create a template for that… not now, but in 2 or 3 weeks from now… unless I got hired for this :wink:

1 Like

To continue the conversation, native QR code scanning is (currently) only available for enterprise customers. I’d reach out to @Ian or @Sean_Martin for details.

Any other solution will be a bit hacky. This is the best implementation of QR I’ve seen so far:

1 Like

not true… you can scan QR using a phone app… then record device ID…when the user enter provide URL in the QR… and then with Glide logic columns, you can do whatever you want with it… and boost it with G scripts and APIs

Right! I know QR scanning is possible, but it isn’t a native Glide feature.

Hey @Robert_Petitto … I know… but I was explaining reverse QR scanning… when a user scans QR and is taken to the website… this way you can actually use glide… probably you did not bother to read the whole conversation… lol

1 Like

No, I read the whole thing—QR scanning with Glide really interests me, but there just isn’t an all-in-one native solution yet.

Glide can provide a deeplink, and a QR code to that deeplink but Glide can’t natively SCAN a QR code yet (at least not for non enterprise customers). So, all I was saying that any solution we come up with, it won’t be an all-in-one solution…it’s going to have to rely on outside apps (camera app to scan QR code) and/or apis/scripts to process the QR code, etc.

4 Likes

@Playmedia there is a paid alternative here. We have a third party tool that you can use to have a QR scanner natively in your Glide app. I’d be happy to chat about it in more detail. Feel free to book time on my calendar here: Meetings

1 Like

Lots of interesting and valuable discussion above.

BUT I’m back to my original solution at the top of the page. I don’t understand why scanning a bar code would add any significant delay to entry. I have Glide apps that scan bar codes and the result is instant.

Did you test with an App that only use Glide Tables and NOT a Google spreadsheet? Glide tables are quicker.

Maybe worth testing?

1 Like

Hi Simon,

I added the barcode and the barcode scanner but even once I aligned the scanner to the barcode it took a long time to go green. Once it went green there was no action.

I’m not precious on QR codes I just want the system to work and display how many times the guests have visited our business.

Well I just created this minimal app to prove to myself it is still fast.

Yes, it’s instant. You can either enter a number in the app and scan the bar code using another device, or simply tap scan and go and find an object in your house with a bar code like a book or a bottle of wine.

It’s absolutely instant for me. Are you sure you were using columns with numbers only and not text?

Ok so that worked and it wasn’t too bad in terms of scanning speed.

I just scanned a random bar code from Google.

Now how would I get that to register a tally against the number of visits a guest has made?

In an ideal world I would be able to see:

A running tally of how many times a guest has been scanned and
Dates and times of each visit?

Thanks

Glad it worked for you.

What you need to do is modify the button so that instead of selecting ‘scan bar code’ from the list of action options, you select new custom action. In this way you can add a ‘program’ of actions with every scan. The program will include:

• adding a row to Glide Table called Guest Log that will contain various useful columns
  • Adding the row will come with the ability to set some columns in that row, e.g. scanned number, current date, etc…
  • The Guest log will contain a relationship that relates the scanned number with a list of membership ID numbers
  • The Guest log will have a single value column that focuses on the last guest scanned
  • The app will then display data relating to the last guest scanned, e.g. are they a member, date of last entry, any comments, how many times they have ever entered, date of last entry, name & photo, etc…

I can probably add those features to the demo app and share it with you if you can wait a while…

1 Like