Create dropdown options selection based on user entry

Hey Glide community,

I want to build an app, in which the user enters monthly saving rate and according to that selects from a dropdown selection different splits of the saving rate.

requirement 1
user enters saving rate (user specific) - where would you store the user-specific data, in glide or google sheets?

requirement 2
split calculation based on the entered saving rate created 4 differents splits options (25/50/75/100 %) - where would you make the calculation and how would you store the data (differents row with user email or ID?)

requirement 3
after selection of the split, this should also be stored in the database - again, where and how?

See attached some mockups. Really would appreciate to receive your recommendations for the leanest and most performing implementation… :pray:

1. Doesn’t matter where you store it. It could be a Glide Table or a Google Sheet. If you are forcing it to be user specific, then it really doesn’t matter as that value only lives in glide. You don’t see user specific column values in the google sheet.

2. This depends on how you want the splits to be handled. Would you calculate this on a single row, or would you have separate rows for each split percentage? The question really should be…are you only going to have 4 splits, or could the number of splits vary? If it’s only 4, then it might be better to do everything in a single row. A column to hold the value total value, 4 columns to hold the percentages, and 4 math columns to calculate each split would be the easiest.

3. This depends on how you want to take in the value. Your first screenshot shows that you aren’t using a form, but you could either use a form to take in the value, and when it’s submitted, everything else is calculated and saved into rows in whichever sheet/table you choose. If you choose not to use a form, you could create a button with a custom action that takes that value, writes it to a table with the Add Row action, and then clears the temporary value so it’s empty for the next time.

There are several ways to approach it, but it all depends on how you want the app to flow and what you want the end result to be.

4 Likes

Hey Jeff,

thanks a lot for your detail answers! Most of the points are now clearified for me.

question 2:
i agree that the calculation of the 4 values in one single row makes sense, but how can I use this structure for the dropdown selection. my assumption is that the data source for the dropdown can only be a column with different rows. or is there any other option?

Yes, the data source for a choice component needs to be in rows, but the destination is whichever column in whichever table row you are editing.

1 Like