Help with regards to data calculations

Hello everyone!

I started trialing Glide apps for a project of mine. Having gone through the manual and forum I couldn’t find what I’m looking for - would be great if one of you kind hearted souls could point me in the right direction. :slight_smile:

So the app has 3 tabs: 2 tabs load data from a G-sheet - the user is allowed to select one entry from each sheet. The 3rd tab simply combines the data from the other 2 tabs and displays the information on screen. The 3rd tab also contains a button which says confirm selection and when the user clicks this button, the values are supposed to save onto a 3rd sheet on the G-sheet and display an in app notification with the total number of records on the G-sheet. (The project is to decide the food selection for an office treat. So the first tab contains the name of the employee, the second tab contains the food options, and the 3rd tab will show the finalised selection to confirm.)

Is this possible within Glide?

Thanks in advance!

Warm regards
Hakim

There are several ways to approach it but the simplest way is to just show the listing of employees. On the detail page of the employee you put a Form Button Component. The form button will save it’s results on the 3rd sheet. When you click on the form button you will have access to all the employee columns so you can save whatever info you want to that 3rd sheet. To get their choice for the food you would add a Choice component and point it to the list of foods that are on sheet 2.

1 Like

You always beat me as I’m about to post @George_B :wink: I’ll post this anyway since I already wrote it and it’s another option.

What you want is possible, but it can be much simpler. This can be done with one tab.

The absolute easiest way would be a single tab that points to your final selection sheet. You can turn on the ability to add records for that sheet. On the add screen, just create 2 choice components. One that pulls the values from the employee’s sheet, the second one pulling values from the food sheet.

Thanks for the quick response @George_B & @Jeff_Hager - I will check your solutions tonight!

Have a good day!

Warm regards
Hakim

1 Like

@Jeff_Hager Beat you?? I beg to differ, you have moved to the top, in quick and complete responses in my book.

@Hakim_Falul As you can see there are usually more ways than one to do most things. The beauty of Glide is that once you get over the initial learning curve you can try a few of those ways and decide which one you like best usually within minutes, not days like you would in most other app building tools.

2 Likes

@George_B Hehe, there’s been several times I’ve typed out a response, just to look before hitting submit, and I see that you’ve posted a minute earlier. Sometimes I still post, and sometimes I just quietly press and hold the backspace key. It’s all good though. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Hi again George and Jeff,

I’ve followed your instructions as best as I could - but am not able to get the desired outcome. Could you’ll please have a look?

George’s solution : https://rebrand.ly/75a86
Jeff’s solution : https://rebrand.ly/75a86

Thanks in advance!

Warm regards
Hakim

Here’s the link to the G-sheet : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1003cISAjMOc9MG6DZCvxAUKIOwxhRiMUhD-9W8jswOY/edit?usp=sharing

Can you publish your apps and share the published links? Those are just links to the Glide documentation. It should look like xxxx.glideapp.io.

Silly me! Really sorry - here you go >>

George’s solution : http://hwnci.glideapp.io
Jeff’s solution : http://3ojtr.glideapp.io

This is how I feel when typing out a response to see that both of you have already posted. :back::no_mouth:

1 Like

For the “George” solution you need to add Text Components form the Employee columns so when the record is saved it populates those columns in that sheet. The only thing you are saving is the Choice. The other components are hidden.
Volunteer ID; Emp. ID; Department; Name

This is what it will look like

The picture cuts off the last one “Name”

Look like you have @George_B’s solution figured out. I would just add another tab to show the output if you wanted to.

For my solution, I was thinking an add (+) button to add new records to the output sheet.
In the Add screen, you would add 2 choice components to select the Name and Food item, then save it to the Name and Food columns in the output sheet. My solution does not save the additional values, like volunteer ID, department, or employee ID, but you could create a relation column and lookup column to get those details from the employee sheet.

It’s all a matter of choice and we could probably throw around all kinds of options, but I’ll add just one more. Another option is a spin off of my idea, which would be to create another sheet as a placeholder. Make sure you have at least one column heading. Then display that sheet as a tab. You can then add a form button to add the name and food choice…just like the Add button. (I personally like the form button over the add button, because it’s more prominent on the screen.) Then add an inline list that points the the output sheet.