Countdown timer sent to SMS or Push Notification

Hi, I’m making an app that logs a certain task or medication that you have to do/take and a timer for when they need to have it finished by using the Date/Time feature.

I want it to have a countdown timer to when it is due and I would like a push notification or SMS to be sent to their phone number so that they can know when it is due.

If anyone can help out with this, I would be greatly appreciative. I am not too savvy when it comes to programming so if you can help, I’ll need it dumbed down step-by-step because it’s hard to understand right now.

This isn’t all entirely possible within the app. First of all, there is no guarantee that an app keeps running in the background. Second, the built in timer function cannot fire an action. Also, there is no way to fire an action without some kind of user interaction, such as a button press. Third, glide apps do not have push notifications. This is because apple does not allow them for PWA’s, so we are restricted by Apple in this regard.

You can, however, use a math column to calculate a date/time in the future and conditionally show data or components on the screen once that time has passed.

I don’t have any step-by-step instructions. Hopefully someone else can chime in with an idea. My first thought would be to use a google script that would send an SMS or email based on a timed trigger. My second thought would be an integromat or zapier scenario that’s called by a webhook in the app and sends an email or sms at a later specified time, but I’m not sure if you can set up a timed delay or recurring schedule for integromat or zapier. However, you could if you called them from a google script.

4 Likes

Fair enough, I just need something like a task manager with due dates for a school project, preferably with some kind of SMS once it’s almost marked as incomplete or something along those lines.

1 Like

I do this in my telemedicine app :slight_smile:

1. glide side - button with the parameters to pass to integromat
  • eg tel, message, time to send
  1. integromat scenario - 2 separate ones

A - webhook gets values and stores in a Data Store (set with 1mb side, structure matches the we hook parameters, store the time value as a string)

B - scenario running on scheduled basis
i search Data Store - all records (best)
II - filter based on time to send compared to now (format as time)
Iii - click send or Twilio - Tel and message will be from the data store

Took me a couple of hours to figure out looking at some videos.

Good luck!

4 Likes

I don’t mean to be a bother towards your schedule but do you think you could make a video on that? Not gonna lie all the terminology you just said is difficult to understand, lol, but I greatly appreciate your input!

I don’t understand why they don’t just add a cron system or incorporate a 10 line node.js module and make this viable. We’ve asked for more features with the timer since it was announced.

1 Like