Convert existing Sheets-based tab (data, computed columns) to Glide Table

Just bumping this considering the new plan structures :slight_smile: +1 +1!!!

+1

Agreed. This is a critical feature, especially if trying to scale up from a previous solution (anything —> Big Tables).

1 Like

Yes critical. Even more now with the new plans.

It is even more difficult if you want to migrate your User Profile from Google sheet to a glide table with so many columns accessed all over the app.

it’s become much more critical now in case of new behaviour about sync: updates now doubled if appear in app (edit + sync).

Here is my question and answer from support:
If new data appears in the app (add row, edit, delete), and that data is written to Google Sheet - then Glide counts AND changes AND sync?

Correct, under the legacy starter plan, any action that involves adding, deleting, or editing data within the app, which consequently results in changes being written to the Google Sheet, will count as an update. Additionally, the sync process itself will also count as an update.

So, migration is urgently need. I get twice less updates for my money :frowning_face:

That’s not twice as many updates.
It’s one update for each add/edit/delete, and then one update for the sync.
It’s always been that way - nothing has changed.

Well it’s not that in my situation for about more than a year: the quantity of sync added is almost as same add+edit+delete all-together. :man_shrugging:

and nobody can say me what exactly syncing and why. i don’t use extra sync, don’t use formula in Google sheet, don’t work directly with Google sheet, don’t use script in Google sheet. So all changes only in app.
i made a copy of Goggle sheet and relink app to new Google sheet - it didn’t help.
I pay for 2500 updates but in real get half of it. And unfortunatelly some month make app unoperatable: contact owner, no more updates.

so, this why it’s very important convert to Glide sheet - (i believe) it will remove syncs that should not be.

Does anyone know if the team provided guidance on this feature request? (Priority, ETA, etc.)

1 Like

I’m a full-stack Python developer with fairly deep experience with low-code and spreadsheets. I’m new to Glide, however, and eager to learn.

Can someone please share:

1. an example of a Google Sheet they want converted
  2. A clear spec of what the Glide Table needs to have. Computed columns must migrate, I assume?

Also, dumb question:

If Glide supports Excel to Glide Tables, why not Sheets → Excel → Glide Table? What am I missing?

Thanks and nice to meet you all.

The problem is that the duplicated tables won’t automatically create computed columns.

1 Like

Okay so if I import an Excel file or a GSheet to turn into a Glide Table and it has columns

1, 3, =1+3

Instead of creating a computed column it will just insert a third column with the value of 4?

Correct.

There is no way to create Glide computed columns through any sort of import process or API.

1 Like

Is this a problem just because people have so many calculated columns and many of them depend on others in order to compute?

Also, I assume since these are Sheets they don’t have foreign keys or relationships.

Have you spent any time studying Glide computed column types? They are a lot more than just formulas. There is no mechanism for generating or defining computed columns, other than manually via the data editor.

Not in the traditional sense, but you can certainly create relations within Glide Tables. A relation is just one more type of computed column.

Yes I have, but I was only speaking about the formulas that would be created in the Sheet.

But I think you’ve made it clearer — the problem is that people have created computed columns inside of Glide, not just inside the “remote” Sheet, so the columns can be more complex than the formulas of a spreadsheet. Is that the correct context? That some of the computed columns were created using the Glide UI and all of its options? If so, I get it.

Thanks in advance for your patience as I try to see if I can be helpful.

Correct. Many Gliders (myself included) started with Apps built completely on Google Sheets. We now want to move to Glide Tables, but there’s no easy way to:

1. Convert Google Sheet → Glide Table (and retain all computed columns)
  2. Move ALL references to original Google Sheet to Glide Table (actions, relations, visibility conditions, filters, etc.)
  3. Rebuild ALL screens with Google Sheet as source → Glide table as source (and retain all components, visibility conditions, filters, etc.)

It’s REALLY messy/tedious at the moment as you can imagine.

4 Likes

Yes! Thanks again.

I also see how this is something that has to be solved by Glide. There’s no way any external tool can possibly address this, unfortunately.

I don’t believe that this particular challenge is one that can be solved by end users, no matter how good their coding skills are. Not unless Glide make their codebase open source and start encouraging contributions :slight_smile:

One thing you might be interested in exploring is writing your own plugin columns. Glide have provided a framework for this, and any one can create their own plugin - either to use privately in their own Apps, or to publicly share with others.

Plugins that you get out of the box:

Instructions for creating your own:

Example of one that I created some time ago:

2 Likes

Thank you! Super helpful; I would definitely like to start creating and sharing new plugins. My background is in math & simulation. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is messy.

Currently, as I’ve mentioned before, if you make a copy of an App that uses Excel, it will convert ALL the tables (including every computed column, etc.) to Glide Tables. It does not ask you first. It just does it.

So I see two problems:

1. You cannot copy an App using Excel and keep the Excel.
  2. Glide cannot easily do the same thing with an App using Google Sheets.

Seems to me the process would be the same because there is in both cases an intermediary table used by Glide which in turn syncs to the Excel or Sheet.

Or am I missing something?

1 Like