Computed columns don't display correctly

it appears to be there.

Sorry but most people in this forum is not in the support team so that link doesnā€™t work for us.

You either have to move it to a team and invite us there, or allow the app to be duplicated so we can look further into the issue.

Edit: I got the invitation. Thanks!

I tried adding a button that shows your leaderboard table, like what you had before, I canā€™t reproduce the issue.

4 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to sort this out this issue.
I hope it keeps displaying the correct data, as Iā€™ve had it unexpectantly resemble a random number generator on the app.
Cheers

Ok, Iā€™ve found what creates the fault.
I have a template that combines the racers sex, class and age group. When I try to display using the group function with the online list the points display changes.
very frustrating.

So you say when you group the inline list by a column the points change? It should not behave that way. Can you record that?

I think I may have solved it. The Template I use to bring together the categories was originally
CLASS/ AGE GROUP/ SEX
Competitive/ 50-59-/ Male

The issue seems to have been created by a gap in the template when a racer is registered as elite. An elite athlete is not categorised by age group, therefore the template had a missing link in the data.
The Fix seems to be as simple as rearranging the order of the template so as not to create a gap in the data.
CLASS/ SEX, then AGE GROUP seems to be working.
What do you think?

If that template column does not take part in your configuration of the points column then I donā€™t see why it should return an error. Do you use that column anywhere in your math column construction?

Pretty much all of it is based off Template.
By the way the fault is repeating itself again. grrrrrrr
Iā€™m going to duplicate app and do a rebuild.
Feel free to take a another poke around.

Want to send me an invite to your app?

https://go.glideapps.com/join/hissing-cook-8920c0

Hey there Robert,
I created another version of my ranking app from scratch ( You will see it titled Jays Project)
Two races have the same categories and template for creating placings. I have used the same if-then column type to create points based on an ordinal column.( 1st = 100, 2nd=95 etcā€¦)
The only change I have made is to create a templated copy off the if-then column. You will see in my leader board sheet I look up these templates to place in my maths column to add together. THis HAS NOT MADE A BLIND BIT OF DIFERENCE!!. I seem to have created the same fault when trying to display the total points column in an inline list.
At any given time I can have different numbers displayed in the app builder, App view via the app builder & the published app on my phone. Just to drive me even more crayzy the app view via the app builder will display correctly.
Is there any chance that numbers drop off as they travel all the way down to NZ? I mean it is a long way after all :wink:

So I visited your app url. One thing I noticed is that every time I refeshed my browser and then clicked on the leaderboard button, I got different numbers. Also as the leaderboard screen loaded, I could see the numbers quickly accumulating within a split second. So in case you werenā€™t aware, all computed columns are calculated on the userā€™s device. So that means that every time the app is loaded, all templates, relations, lookups, math calculations, etc. Are recomputed on the fly. My first thought is that the the inline list completes rendering before all the database computations are completed. Although, itā€™s my understanding that any calculations should continually update and I would think that it would update the tag number once everything is calculated.

A couple of things I would try, just to see what happens:

1. Try a different list layout that is not a card or tile layout.
  2. While you have the app open on your device, with incorrect numbers showing, update some data through the glide data editor (possibly one of the score values) and see what happens once the updated data syncs to your device.
  3. Try putting the number total in the details screen of the list items.

Iā€™d be curious if a different list layout or updated data causes the correct numbers to show. Iā€™ve never seen a glide app react like this, so Iā€™m not sure whatā€™s happening. I donā€™t really have an answer for you, but I think it might be something with the screen completely rendering before calculations are completed. Again, I would not expect this to be normal behavior and have never seen anything like this before.

1 Like

I know, its so frustrating.
Ill play around with your suggestions and get back to ya ASAP.
Thanks for your time and consideration, Jeff.

1 Like

Right!! Here we goā€¦
I tried everything you suggested and the Card layout is an issue (God only knows why)
But I also tried an inline list/ list configuration and that was no better.
What seems to be working is a leader board Tab and an inline list/ list configuration ( because that makes total sense, ā€¦insert eye rollā€¦)
I will now cross every appendage and sacrifice something cute and fluffy to appease the Glide Gods.
Watch this space :crazy_face:

1 Like

Okay that was a waste of cute fluffy things.
Despite the initial stability my has returned to operating like a random number generator.
Glide Gods help!!

1 Like

I think I would recommend submitting your issue to glide support. Youā€™ll want to include a video yourself, or you could include my video if itā€™s descriptive enough. Something does seem odd.

https://glide-help.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Cheers. I was thinking that needs to be the next step.
Appreciate your expertise and time.

1 Like

The response from the Glide team was this ā€¦ā€œAs a workaround, please avoid computed columns over self-referential relations. In particular, the computation through a relation needs to happen in a separate table from the relation. This should resolve the issue.ā€

This works except I can no longer allocate placings based on templated categories.
Any Ideas?

Closing due to inactivity. This topic will be deleted in a few weeks if there are no more comments.