Combo box input method

I would really really LOVE to have a combo box input method available. It’s basically a textbox + dropdown list in one. The combo box allows the user to start typing, and the dropdown list filters the available options based on what the user entered so far. If the user types something that isn’t in the list, then that value is saved.

This becomes critical if a regular dropdown list is too long.

3 Likes

Agreed that this would be a nice feature to have. In the meantime, there are available workarounds that can be employed. I described one such workaround here.

Just curious, how long is too long? :slightly_smiling_face:

@Darren_Murphy have a dropdown list with the names of hundreds of books. Honestly I’d use it for any dropdown with over 25-50 items

Okay. I guess the reason for my question is that I’m struggling to connect the dots.
My understanding of a combo box is that it’s useful when none of the presented options is applicable, and so it provides an avenue for the user to supply a “custom” response. But this is un-related to the length of the list.

Are you concerned about performance with a long list of options?
I have apps with in excess of 500 options in a choice component, and I haven’t seen any noticeable performance impact.

You’re right that it gives a way to provide a custom response. But I also thought the combo box filters the list items too, helping the user to find available options.

It’s not performance I’m worried about. I just think it’s a poor experience for users to have to scroll through 500 options. I personally would much prefer to start typing “Catcher” and have the choice list automatically filter for books like “Catcher in the Rye”, than have to scroll down 100 options to find it.

A combo box would be nice, but in case you aren’t aware, the choice component does have a search feature built into it.

3 Likes

erm… you can already do this…

https://www.loom.com/share/555ee960b4eb4a659b6069a7aeb44bc1

4 Likes

Oh wow, I must be blind

1 Like

:grinning:
You’re not the first one to have missed it, and I’m sure you won’t be the last.

1 Like