Disable search in Choice component

Can the search function in a choice component be disabled if the user wishes? I know it’s supposed to be a feature but it forces the keyboard to pop up when using the app on mobile, which blocks virtually all of the items in the list. I’m only using the app in a mobile format, so it’s really annoying having to close the keyboard every time I want to choose an item

1 Like

@Johannes_Gerber @tristan

I’d like to see this happen too. Although in most cases, I find it very convenient to have the cursor automatically “activated” in a text entry field on websites, etc, in this case, I think it makes sense for someone to have to tap that entry field to be able to start typing and activate their keyboard. Honestly, unless there are more than 20 or so choices, I think the more common behavior is to manually search the list and select the option you want.

There are just enough items in my list to trigger the keyboard, even though they would all be visible on screen if the keyboard wasn’t in the way. In terms of user experience, I’d prefer to scroll even if the list was longer as I find the keyboard pop up quite jarring. It also assumes that the user knows what they are looking for, in some cases they might need to see the list before making a selection.

2 Likes

This would be great!
Choice is very difficult to use in my mobile apps. Horrible UI now, as the keyboard blocks all the choices.

Only problem is that currently dropdown choice components are limited to 20 or so items…so without a search, they’d need to overhaul how the dropdown functions.

i see about 98 items in my choice options.
the old app had a search option; You just had to select it to bring up the keyboard (worked great). The problem with the current system, is that the search/keyboard is selected by default. Very annoying on the phone. On the desktop, it works well.

1 Like

Maybe it’s possible to block the search pop-up with custom CSS?

Couldn’t find a CSS solution for this. However, maybe it’s possible to use JavaScript to temporarily set the text-number input to external to make Glide think there’s an external keyboard so it won’t show the touchscreen pop-up.

As far as I know, JavaScript in Glide is used only for transforming data as a column, not to interact with front end stuff.