Choice Component with Filtering and Screen Feature

Hope you are well. I am doing filtering for an app using relations and the Screen feature. The filtering works only when every Choice I am filtering on has a value. If any of the choices I am filtering on is blank then the filtering does not work.

So for example if I filter on three choices and one of them is blank nothing is displayed. Is there way for you to not require a value in the Choice component? I watched a tutorial that has “Any” as part of the data for the Choice component, but I do not want to use this. Just want the Choice to be blank if not selected.

I believe that’s the default behaviour.
Can you provide a screen shot of your filtering setup?

Hello Darren,

Thank you for the quick response. I hope it’s not the default or there is a work around. Please see the screen shot attached.

Candy

I’m not sure if this will get you what you want, but what happens if you change all those filters to use OR instead of AND?

When you use AND, you won’t see anything unless they’re ALL true.
With OR, only one of them needs to be true.

Hi Darren,

When I use OR it returns the results for each filter and does not return the And value combination of the filter.

For example if I use OR with Choice component Island and select the island of Nassau and Choice component bedrooms selected is 6, it returns every object that has the island Nassau plus every object that has 6 bedrooms instead of only the results that have both the island is Nassau and 6 bedrooms which is what is required.

Candy

I would recommend checking out this thread.

You will need to restructure your filtering to work differently. Almost backwards, where you create a series of true/false columns in the data to be filtered. Then you can set your filters to look for all True values to determine if the row should be displayed.

3 Likes

Thank you! Will check out the tutorial.

1 Like

Hello. Hope you are doing well. I watched the tutorial and the filtering on True values works! Thank you very much!

1 Like

Hello all,

Hope you are well. Ok the filtering works depending on whether the values are true however after about 5 to 10 seconds the results disappear off the screen and there are no results. :slightly_frowning_face: I am testing on an IPhone. Does anyone know why this is happening and how to correct it?

Hello. Apologies. The filtering works. I had a second test filter on another tab and it looks like this was causing the problem. Thanks much :pray:t5:

2 Likes

Hello all. Hope you are well. I have been testing the app a lot by previewing different users. Sometimes the correct filter results come up and sometimes it does not unless I click the hamburger menu to the top right and click the user’s profile? When I click the users profile from the hamburger menu the correct results appear. I am using If Then Else to test if the users Choice matches whatever property column type and if the result is True, then display and if the choice is empty to also display everything. I added column specific to the choice components to see if it would make a difference but it has not and I am also filtering on “email is signed in user”. Thanks for your help. :slightly_smiling_face::pray:t5:

Hello,

Hope you are well. I am vigorously testing the filtering with different users and sometimes it works and sometimes it does not work. :slightly_frowning_face:I am using If Then Else columns to check if there is a match between the column entry in the Profile sheet and Rental Listing Column sheet. True if there is a match and also True if Choice component is empty. I also have checkbox components that I am testing True if a match and True if False so listing still displayed. For some reason True is not displaying when the checkbox is unchecked in The Data sheet. True is only displayed when the checkbox is checked.

So you have a relation and then an If Then Else?

What is this part for? You have added a condition to the visibility condition?

1 Like

I’m doing some of what Robert P. is doing in his dynamic filtering video. Because I am using two sheets for comparison I am not using the Single Value column, instead selecting User-> Field1 or Field 2 etc from the Profile sheet to compare with the Value in the Rentals sheet. For example if Property Type in the Rental sheet matches User->Property type in the Profile sheet. If these match then True is the value and if the User->Property Type field is empty then also True is the value to display unfiltered results. Then I filter by the If Then columns if True in the features of the Inline list.