Chart doubles/triples values when page size increased

Team ID:ggstxh7QmtdLqgAJ5uFs
App ID: Glide
Chrome, Windows (and everyone else’s computer on the team too)

Description:
The Line Chart is showing values that are 2x or 3x the values in the source table.

How to replicate:
I have created a Line Chart with 48 months on the X axis. It has 4 columns of data in a table together that plot within those 48 months.

To see all 48 months in the same view, I have expanded the page size of the line chart from the default 24 to 50 so that I can see all the months.

When I expand the page size, the values in the chart duplicate or triplicate. This is unexpected behavior. When I put the page size back to 24, the values return to their original state. I want to be clear - the values in the table are not changing. It’s the values on the chart hover (and the plot of the lines themselves) that are changing.

Sometimes, the values in the whole data set double. Sometimes the values in the whole data set triple. Sometimes just a few of the values double or triple.

Page size 24 - Expected Values

Page size 50 - Doubled values

Page size 100 - Tripled values

How many rows do you have for the table you’re pointing to?

This data set is 48 rows

There’s no chance there are duplicated rows date-wise in your dataset, is that correct? If so, I might classify it as a bug.

Yup. Its a bug. And a pretty nasty one. I reported it.

It’s replicable, but it also hides when the chart is page size 24. But if you expand the page size and then make it 24 again, the bug doesn’t aways go away. So the chart values aren’t totally trustable. :grimacing:

1 Like

Thank you, please let us know how it goes in your ticket with the team.

Well, you were right @ThinhDinh!

And George Barnabic uncovered it too. My data was buggy and there were three entries for the same dates causing double and triple the values. I’m only supposed to have one entry for each date in this data set.

The reason it didn’t show up all the time, is that page size isn’t counting the width of the chart. It’s counting how many rows of data fit into the chart (at least that’s now what I think it’s doing). So with a smaller page size, only one instance of the date was included in the chart. By expanding the page size to 100, I allowed the chart to contain all three (one correct and the two duplicates) of my data points on the same date.

Kudos to the Glide team for unraveling this ridiculous mystery. There was indeed a bug and it is all mine.

3 Likes

Bug squashed! :beetle::jack_o_lantern:

Good to hear it’s fixed.