Can't use "includes" when referencing array column

Creating this as a bug, but maybe it’s a feature request… (or maybe I just haven’t figured it out)

I have a Private Pro app, and I’m using Roles, which is configured as an array column.

So in my User Profiles table, I have something that looks like this:

Name Email Role 1 Role 2 Role 3
Fred fred@example.com Admin Manager User
Joe joe@example.com Manager User
Mary mary@example.com User

Now, I want to use my Roles to control tab visibility, and (for example) I have a Tab that I want only to be visible to Managers.

What I would expect to be able to do is create a visibility condition as follows:

• where Role includes Manager (ie. address the array column directly)

But I can’t - because the only options available with an array column are is empty or is not empty.
So I’m forced to address each column in the array individually and do:

• where Role 1 is Manager or Role 2 is Manager or Role 3 is Manager

UGH! :confounded:

I’m hoping that I’ve missed something - have I? :thinking: :pray:

2 Likes

Have you tried to create a joined column and then split them to achieve the is included? I know that its not the optimal way but should work

1 Like

Or a template column, since this is probably just multiple columns on the same row.

No, that doesn’t work.
I think there is a general problem here, where you can’t use includes when referencing an array column…

Same thing if I try to reference the Role (array) column directly:

It seems that Glide is treating an array column as a relation in this context, which just seems intuitively wrong, no?

(I’ve updated my original topic description)

Yeah you are correct on the points regarding the array, only a template column would help in this scenario I believe.

How?

A template column like “R1-R2-R3” then replace by your 3 roles columns, use include accordingly. Would it work?

oh, I see what you mean.
Yeah, looks like that works. Seems like a horrible kludge, though.

1 Like

Yes, we need to add includes as a predicate on array types!

6 Likes

Please! Cenrtantly the solution the template column is cool for the moment but would be okey to have an include in arrays

Closing due to inactivity. This topic will be deleted in a few weeks if there are no more comments.