Attempting to update values in two table upon submit via a relation and Set Column Values (but so far it's a no go :-( )

So, full disclosure here… I’m a noob when it comes to Glide, BUT I’ve got EXP with other big box low code tools and tend to grasp concepts pretty quickly.

I decided to dip my toes in the water with the infamous “INSIDERS” template build which is a great way to be introduced to most of Glide’s features (I was even able to translate from the old Glide interface to the 2.0 release pretty smoothly during the build).

Well, in the app, if you want to administer the users, you have to undo the ‘Row Owners’ setting from the Users table. This seems like a step backwards (no more fun favorite based filtering!) so, I thought why don’t I just duplicate the Users table and call it ‘User Management’ and then make that tab visible to Admin users only, set up a relationship between the two tables, and then set up a custom action to update both tables upon editing a row in the ‘User Management’ table.

Conceptually it should work, right?

Well, only the User Management table is updating and NOT the User table (that is Row Owner enabled). Here are my tables…

and here’s my custom action…

Now, I have made some assumptions that could totally be wrong, like the fact that clicking the ‘Done’ button on the edit form triggers my custom action.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

A table under row ownership means unowned data is not downloaded to a user’s device. You can’t get around it by having a separate table with a relation to the user table.

I think you would be better off getting ride of the user management table and stick with the user table, but add another email column with your email address. That second email column can also be set as a row owner column. So that means the original user as well as yourself will be row owners.

If you are willing to use Role functionality, the the second column could contain be named Admin with a value of ‘Admin’ on every row and be set as a row owner column. Then add a Role column, assign each admin user as ‘Admin’, and set that column as the Role column in the user profile configuration.

2 Likes

Ah HA, ok thanks for the blunt clarification on Row Owner (no getting around that, got it!)
This makes sense to me, thank you!

1 Like