Adding Data via Temp Table

Hi everyone,

Fairly new to Glide, I’m interested in recreating a system I’m using in Coda.io. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

In Coda.io I have teachers selecting a few values, such as ‘Course Name’, ‘Date’, and ‘Crew Name’ then pressing a ‘populate’ button. The populate button adds rows to a temporary table, and sets the values marked by the teacher. Additionally, the ‘Crew Name’ is pulling all the students from a separate database who have a matching ‘Crew Name’ and creating a row for each of them.

This temporary table is used by teachers to update information like ‘Attendance’ about each student and the ‘Submit’ button publishes the information into a main database. After submission, the temporary table values are deleted.

I’ve attached a few screenshots from Coda, thoughts?

Before Populate

After Populate

Here are examples of the code I’m using in each button with Coda.io

Coda.io ‘Populate’ Button Code
StudentCrewX.Filter(CrewName=[CrewSelect 3]).FormulaMap(AddRow(TonyStudentDailyScoresX,TonyStudentDailyScoresX.StudentName,[Student Name],TonyStudentDailyScoresX.Crew,[CrewSelect 3],TonyStudentDailyScoresX.[Class Name],[ClassSelect 3],TonyStudentDailyScoresX.[Instructor Name],[InstructorSelect 4],TonyStudentDailyScoresX.Term,TonyTermSelect,TonyStudentDailyScoresX.Date,[date 2]))

Two questions:

• is the number of rows to be added fixed, or variable?
  • which team plan do you have?
1 Like

Hey Darren, thanks for the response.

Number of rows would be dependent on the number of students with an assigned ‘Crew Name’, this number should be fixed, but may change over the course of a semester.

I’m on the Maker Plan currently, open to changing plans if necessary.

Okay.

So unless the number of rows to be added is fixed in the sense that it can be “hard coded”, then the only (current) way to add several rows at once is via the Glide API. So you would need either a Team, Business or Enterprise Plan.

The general approach is to use a multiple row Helper Table to prepare the data, then send a webhook to a tool such a Make or Zapier with a data payload, then insert the rows into Glide via the API.

It’s a little convoluted, but until such time as Glide give us the ability to perform iterative actions, it’s the best option available.

1 Like

Hi Darren,

Thanks for your answer! If I’m understanding you correctly – I’ll have to use a fixed number of rows pulled into a Helper Table using a button, then to submit the information, I’ll use a Make button trigger to add the data via the API.

Can you point me in a direction on how to configure the initial helper table button to call the fixed row data?