[SOLVED ✅] I want to create a Webhook that adds a row to a Glide Table (for fun 😁)

Currently we cannot add data to Glide tables outside. This is fine of course for now. I know it is in the backlog.

But I got curious on a walk the other day. Could we not call a webhook to some RPA tool that opens a headless browser that goes to a simple Glide app form and fills out the ‘Add’ form in Glide which creates a new row in the Glide table?

This is hacky of course, I just want to figure it out. I don’t intend on using it on a project.

@Krivo shared a way of doing something similar manually through the a command line tool:

But I was hoping to find a tool that would do the work for me. I’m having trouble finding a tool that would do this, so wanted to reach out to see if anyone knew of one. The tool just needs to be able to open a webpage and complete a form whenever a request is sent through a webhook. Bonus points for Zapier integration.

Any ideas?

2 Likes

Interesting idea…very hacky, but might be possible? This is out of my realm of expertise.

1 Like

That’s an interesting idea. I did try another way of mimicking the API call to add rows to a table the other day, but never succeeded.

Hola… good point!

As far I know, the Glide’s backend is built on Firebase/Firestore so, the Glide Tables are Firebase tables indirectly. Anyone can access Firebase databases via API using a Key but we depend on Glide’s rules, restrictions and security reasons to get that API Key.

This post created by @Zancoper time ago shows how to connect a Firebase database and put its data into a Google Sheet in an “easy way”:
Import data from Firebase to Glide
Saludos!

2 Likes

My immediate thought is you could probably do this with a functional test automation tool. Something like Selenium, for example.

1 Like

You can test with UiPath its a very good RPA tool, they have free version, the paid is very expensive.

We regularly use Selenium for writing user test cases, but it relies on having access to the CSS selectors to reference the correct components, I don’t think with GA we get can see the raw HTML, I think it is only viewport/embedded .js

For academic experimental purposes, can you not use experimental column to make an API call and save the data (the same you want to enter into a say FORM PEOPLE) and save that data into the experimental column. Then create a relation/lookup across to the sheet/table that has the target form and using SPLIT/JOIN/ then split the data into the necessary columns ? IF this can work, i’m not sure how you can get the same table to be updated via the API and the regular interface.

The other way is to use Google Sheets and use their API to write to Google Sheets which will sync with GA

1 Like

Honorable suggestion, but not a route I want to pursue at the moment.

I left my corporate gig so I didn’t have to use Selenium anymore! :wink:

Right now the most promising solution I have found is Axiom. But I’m not sure I can trigger the task if I’m not on my local computer and clicking a button. I gonna play around with that today and continue my search.

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll take a look at that too.

1 Like

I figured it out! :tada: :tada: :tada:

I have successfully created a HACKY workaround to add a row to a Glide Table via a webhook.

Problem

The Glide Tables API is currently only available to Enterprise clients, so I had the idea for a workaround…

Solution

Instead of
API :point_right: Glide Table
… what if we could do …
API :point_right: RPA tool that completes Glide form :point_right: Glide Table

This is possible with Axiom.ai and their new Zapier integration and it’s all no-code!

Tutorial

See a demo (3:50) and a full tutorial (4:27) here…

Note: This was indeed a fun project, but is not an official recommendation from me as a Glide Expert.

15 Likes

This is really, really cool.

1 Like

@Darren_Alderman Very nice job, Darren!

Any experience on how robust the robot is? Can it always find the correct input fields, buttons etc? Just wondering whether it uses class of e.g. input field - and what happens if it is a class which is non-static.

The user interface of the robot looks sweet - like it.

Your video is slick - great job. A lot nicer than the videos that I normally do :slight_smile:

As you wrote in the first post I used another RPA tool which is closer to programming than Axiom - but I very much like your approach.

Thanks a lot for sharing!!

3 Likes

What ! That’s amazing ! I’m going to try to auto duplicate an app when a client buy me an App !

1 Like

1 Like

Thanks all!

This was my first automation, so I am by no means an expert. But it looks like the selector is pretty flexible. You can use some text on the screen instead of the HTML or set your own custom selector.

4 Likes

Does that work with private signin email apps or only public apps?

Authentication is irrelevant. If you watch my video, you’ll see the solution uses browser bots. You can program a browser bot to do most of anything (like enter in authentication details).

With that said, since Glide uses pin authentication, private signin would be more difficult since you’d have to get a pin from an email after entering in a user email.

1 Like

How about having a central public app where you have multiple tabs like this, make it completely public and run Axiom on different tabs for different tasks?

Just make sure that app’s URL isn’t leaked anywhere though.

4 Likes

What could possibly go wrong? :thinking: :rofl:

4 Likes

This is really cool @Darren_Alderman! Thanks for sharing too!

2 Likes

Very hacky in all the right ways!!!

Not to far away from being able to say “Alexa, submit my Glide form for me.”

6 Likes

I did this yesterday and it worked but I used pages which is better and has a tab link read to use

1 Like