Webhook / JSON: Is there a limit on how much can be parsed?

Hi good people,

I’m trying to add a few more fields to a Webhook Call to Zapier. But in Zapier those new fields are simply not showing up.

– Is there a limit on how many field values can be passed? (Currently at around 30 values)
– Do I need to re-instantiate/create a new webhook for those new fields to be parsed?

Why are the new values I’m adding in Glide with “Trigger Webhook” not showing up in Zapier?

This is breaking my head.
Thanks!
Daniel

The upper limit on the amount of data that can be sent via a Glide webhook is 1MB.

Although that’s probably not the issue here. I’m not sure how Zapier works, but when you add parameters to an existing webhook that’s sent to Make, you need to “re-determine the data structure” on the Make side. Maybe Zapier has a similar function?

Just as an aside, the way you have that setup at the moment is quite high maintenance. If you ever decide to re-use that same webhook in another part of your App, you’re going to have to be very careful to get all the parameter names correct. What I like to do with webhooks is just send a single value, which is a JSON object containing a collection of key/value pairs. Makes my webhooks easier to manage at both ends :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks Darren,
I also doubt it amounts to 1MB… I’ll look into how Zapier redetermines the structure, great idea!

And thanks for your additional observation: So do you build the JSON object in the Glide Tables? Or do you still pass X values from Glide to the Webhook?

Yes, using Glide tables and I pass the entire JSON payload as a single value via the webhook.

Here is a short video that I made a while back that explains how to construct a JSON payload in Glide tables:

And if you intend to start working with JSON in Glide, then the following are invaluable:

https://beta5.objgen.com/json/local/design

4 Likes

I notice that your timestamp in your Zapier screenshot is from 8/22. Did you add more values to the webhook on the Glide side since then? If so, you’ll need to refresh your Webhook Zap trigger step. Under the Test section, select Load More and it’ll refresh your data. FYI - Your latest data will be later in the alphabet ending at J. Once you have that many sends, Zapier shifts your previous requests leaving request J as always the most recent data.

4 Likes

Massively helpful Darren, I’m going to try that – Thank you so much!

1 Like

OMG NFN, this was it!
Thanks for clarifying this – really isn’t super intuitive the Zapier UX, so really helpful to get you eyes on it. THANKS!

Daniel

Wonderful! Yeah, I had to watch a @Darren_Alderman video to figure that one out.

1 Like

So I guess that’s the Zapier equivalent of “re-determine data structure” :wink:

4 Likes

Yes, true. That’s what does the trick!

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.