Video Component

Question 1: Is it possible to have a video component to generate a preview image for a Tiles layout. That is, I have a tiles layout that has video component inside, so I’m looking for ways that I can use to get an image preview of the video in the tiles layout.

Question 2: how can I auto play a video in Glide?

1. I’m guessing you tried to use the video as the image and it didn’t work. So, the only thing you could do was to create a representative image of each video and save it off for each video.

2. I’m pretty sure that request has been asked before, autoplay both audio and video, but I don’t know if it is on Glides list of new future features or if it is, where on the list it may fall.

Thanks for the response!

1. I tried to use it as you guessed and it didn’t work so I’m thinking of have an image picker so users can upload it as its cover image

2. I will wait for their update

Here is a workaround to display video thumbnail in list/tile component:

• setup your sheet to take the info you want to display in the tile e.g. a column for video name and youtube url.
  • then add column to extract the youtube video code from the url and apply the formula to the entire column. The formula looks like this: =ArrayFormula(iferror(REGEXEXTRACT(B2:B, “youtu(?:.*/v/|.v=|.be/|.?embed/)([A-Za-z0-9_-]{11})”), “”))
  • then add column to extract a thumbnail from the youtube video code and again, apply the formula to the entire column. The formula looks like this: =ArrayFormula(if(C2:C = “”, “”, IMAGE(REPLACE(“https://i3.ytimg.com/vi/IMG/hqdefault.jpg”,25,3,C2:C), 4, 80, 120)))
  • then add column to extract a url to the thumbnail, apply the formula to the entire column: =ArrayFormula(if(C2:C = “”, “”, (REPLACE(“https://i3.ytimg.com/vi/IMG/hqdefault.jpg”,25,3,C2:C))))
  • you might want to hide the first row of each column that contains the formula.
  • you can now keep adding youtube video links to new rows and the formulas will automatically generate a thumbnail you can point your tile component to, which then link to the video url.

Example:

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Nice explanation.