Generating Thumbnail for videos uploaded by user

Does anyone know if there is a formula or method (oh yes, I am actually asking for a workaround!) - to generate thumbnails from videos uploaded using the file picker. I know there is a way to generate the thumbnail for youtube/dailymotion/vimeo hosted videos and already using that. Appreciate any ideas! :relaxed:

2 Likes

I used a default image for user generated videos. The client obviously doesn’t likes it as much as they would have liked a frame of video at the top. But to give it a feel that the user is supposed to click into it, I overlayed the default video image with the caption for the image. Used tiles layout.

Yes, default image is the only option I could think of as well - was hoping though to have a way to generate the thumbnail…will see if anyone else has a solution or this will definitely be what I have to do in the meantime! :sweat_smile:

@deena i‘m thought you could fetch the video to cloudinary and then use the way they generate thumbnails. But fetch doesn’t work for videos.
Auto upload does work with videos but I expect that this will not work as you have the video at glide and I don’t think cloudinary can get access to “folder”. But haven’t tried

1 Like

I read something yesterday from Cloudinary (I think in their newsletter) where you can generate a thumbnail from a video. If it can be done, it’s through cloudinary, for sure

1 Like

I saw this today, https://cloudinary.com/blog/auto_generate_video_previews_with_great_results_every_time not tried it yet :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, fantastic. Thank you @Krivo, @eltintero and @Rosewebstudio! I will look into this. Funny how we often end up at Cloudinary’s door! :grin:

@Deena let us know how you get the videos from glide to cloudinary :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Well don’t hold your breath, but if I get it sorted, you’ll be the first to know! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes