Using Visibility to limit chat entries and inline displays

I have three users—user 1, user 2 and myself (in testing mode right now with the free version).

Is it possible to configure the chat component (through visibility?) so that user 1 and me only see the messages we exchange and user 2 and me only see the messages that we exchange between us; user 1 and user 2 do not even know that the other exists?

The same goes for the items created by each of us in one of the tabs: I use an inline list to display the items and they are grouped by user. When user 1 is using the app, I would like the inline list to display user 1’s items and my items; when user 2 is using the app I would like the inline list to display user 2’s items and my items.

Thanks for your help with this.

use the filter option to show only sign in user sender and sign in user recipient

If you use the comments component then there’s no way to filter the comments. You either need to configure different rows so you can chat with user 1 in one and user 2 in another, or use a form to populate a new Messages table, but it will cost you rows.

Regarding the items, assuming you will always be the “different” one that appears in all signed-in users’ inline list, filter the inline list by “creator email” is signed in user or “creator email” is michaelkagan@example.com (use your email here).

2 Likes

bottom line… if you want extra functionalities… always make your own forms, favorites list, chats… etc

1 Like

Hey Uzo!

Thanks for the quick reply.

There are two issues:

1. The visibility control for Chat on defines if the tab is visible, not the individual chat messages

2. Even in the event that I can filter visibility of individual chat messages, I cannot see how make the visibility conditional on “signed in” user. I only see “user”. And because I cannot differentiate between users by their being a “signed in” user, I don’t see how I can set the visibility to be only the “signed in” user and me

I would love to “always make your own forms, favorites list, chats… etc”.

How do I do this?

Thanks for responding so quickly.

If I understand you, one cannot filter the individual chat messages. Correct?

I cannot find a filter option for “creator” email or signed-in user.

As I said in the original comment, if you use a comments component then you don’t have a way to do it. Only when you use a form to write the messages to a new Sheet and capture the email of the person who commented then you can do so.

Sorry if I am being slow on understanding. by “comments” do you mean “chat”?

Also,

I cannot find a filter option for “creator” email or signed-in user.

What’s your current use for the chat? Do you mean the native “Chat” tab?

Yes, the native chat.

The other users and I communicate with each other here

Then you don’t have a way to filter anything on that screen, it’s a public chat.