Using App Script with a JSON API

Yes and no.
Yes in the sense that I understand what’s required to make use of it, but no I don’t see myself using it as it is.

When @Mark first posted I just kind of skimmed through the post and thought “this is cool”, without really reading properly. Especially his second post where he explained how to implement a compatible endpoint. It was only when Mark pointed out to me that you can’t just point it at any API and expect it to work that I went back and re-read that post - and the penny dropped.

To use it as it is, you either need to build your own API and endpoint that is compatible with Glide, or - if you want to make use of an existing API - build an interface to act as a proxy between that API and Glide. Either way, it involves some coding and an (under the hood) understanding of how API’s and web servers work. So, unless you’re prepared to do that (I’m not), then it has limited use right now. But it’s an exciting pre-cursor of things to come, there is no doubt of that.

In my case, I’m already comfortable working with API’s and getting data into GSheets using App Script, so I’ll just continue doing that for the time being. Of course the down side to this approach is that it’s not good if you need instant results in the app - which becomes painfully obvious if you take a look at the “app” that emerged from my tutorial :joy:

So being able to do this and have the data written directly to Glide will indeed be a game changer, but we’re not there yet (unless you’re willing to get your hands a bit dirty).

5 Likes