Usability Tip: Quickly locate & navigate to any sheet

I can’t believe that I’ve been using Google Sheets for nearly 15 years and I’ve never noticed this before…

Once you have more than a dozen or so sheets, it can be a pain navigating between sheets. In the past I found myself endlessly hiding, unhiding and re-arranging sheets to bring the ones I am currently working on to the front.

And then earlier this evening I stumbled on this…

In the bottom left corner next to the + sign for adding a new sheet is a small hamburger menu:

Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 1.16.08 AM

Click on it, and you get this:

Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 1.16.29 AM

A scrollable list of all your sheets!

10 Likes

I was going to ask how you found your hidden sheets without the hamburger menu.

Lo and behold, I’ve been using GS forever as well and just learnt that hidden sheets call also be found in the View dropdown menu. Thanks!

Lol, you must be kidding me… just found it ??? Is there for years!
But i wish they will place it on the right side, too much work to move mouse all the way to the left hahahaha…

haha, yeah :crazy_face:
Just shows that no matter how well you think you know something, there is always something new to learn :wink:

3 Likes

I wish they add search for named ranges. Glide is ahead on that front.

2 Likes

I think it’s also due to the fact that we are used to having to think and following through the steps, our minds are built to look for all the sheets in its place. I found this to be one reason that many PC users have a hard time converting to the Mac life…lol. (Those steps to right click, left click, etc.) But, with the new OS systems, PC users might be catching up…lol…Of course, this is not a fact nor am I against PCs. I just found things more simplified with navigation.

Just read yesterday that Google Sheets will finally allow you to do multiselection of tabs as well.

3 Likes