Types of users

The glide website wasnt being too clear so I came here. Could someone please explain the difference between public, personal and private users?

The concept of public and private users only exists in Legacy plans. New plans make no distinction anymore. But if you do have a legacy plan, a user is considered private is you utilize Role functionality or if you only allow certain users to sign into your app using a whitelist table instead of allowing anybody. If you don’t use roles or a whitlist table, then a user will be public.

With the New plans, there are now Personal users. Plans that only allow personal users will only allow those with personal email addresses or nonprofit email address to sign in (such as Gmail). Anyone with a business email address is not a personal user and can’t sign into apps on plans that only allow for personal users.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your response. So just to be clear the maker plan will allow unlimited users with say, a gmail account to use my app? Also I am assuming a university email address which a student will have will fall under business email address?

Yes, the Maker plan allows for unlimited personal users. I do believe education emails are also considered personal emails.

You can read more about personal users in the documentation here.

The document contains a link to the validator tool, but I’m sharing it here as well. You can use it to check if an email is recognized as a personal email or not.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.