No Personal Users on Team Plan

I know this question has been addressed multiple times, and I believe I understand it. However, I’m still in a bit of disbelief and can’t fully grasp the logic behind it, even though I’m sure there’s a reason. I also recognize that many technical people on these forums might get frustrated when explaining, so I’ve done a lot of research and read through the forums. I think it’s just that my brain isn’t able to wrap around the logic of the question.

I understand that personal users are those using consumer emails like Gmail, Yahoo, etc. Under the Maker Plan, I receive unlimited personal users, which makes sense because I’m developing an app and want people to sign up—I want users. But I only get one published app, and I’d like to publish more than one.

So my thought is to get the next plan, which is the Team Plan. But here’s where I’m confused: If I upgrade to the Team Plan, I get unlimited apps, but now I have to pay per user, and there are no personal users allowed on the Team Plan. Is that correct?

That’s where I’m stuck. I understand what a personal user is, but do I lose the ability to have personal users and instead have to pay for every user who joins the app? Is that correct? Could someone please help me understand?

I’m not the best at this, but I think they intend to have the Maker plan for public-facing apps, and all plans above for internal apps, or what they call “dark apps”. That’s why Team+ are charged per user.

They allow you to have multiple apps on Maker, just that you have to pay for each app on that level. You can purchase up to 5 additional apps.

Where do you see it saying that personal users are not allowed on the Team plan?

Any user can sign into an app within the Team and above plans.

The Free and Maker plans only allow Personal users.

Team and above plans allow any type of user, but do have limits on users.

This is incorrect.

This is how it works:

• Maker plan: 1 consumer app, consumer-facing app, unlimited users because the number of users is in theory limitless (millions)

• Team / Business / Entreprise plans: unlimited business apps, internal business software, limited users because companies usually have a limited and stable number of users (employees, partners, clients)

Team/Business/Entreprise plans are not an upgrade from Maker. The use cases are entirely different. They seem like an upgrade because of the pricing structure, but they are not at all. There is a great wall of China between Maker on one side and Team/Business/Entreprise on the other.

And usually it’s quite straightforward to determine which plan a use case might need. Regardless of budget, if you are building internal business apps for a somewhat limited and stable number of users, then the suitable plans are Team/Business/Entreprise. If you are building a consumer-facing application and expect to have multiple hundreds of users extendable to thousands or millions, then the suitable plan is Maker.
Maker → consumer app
Team/Business/Entreprise → business apps

As for the types of users. There is no such thing in this world as personal users, Glide has made it more confusing than it needs to be. Just remember the Maker plan won’t let users log in with a professional email address, that’s it. If you’re building a consumer-facing app on Maker, the users will only be able to use Gmail, msn, Yahoo, AOL, .gmx, .edu, internet provider emails, etc. (which can be considered personal email addresses) to sign in. All other plans will accept any (type of) email address.
Maker → no professional email
Team/Business/Entreprise → any email

As for paying per users. The Maker plan offers unlimited users by design, so you don’t pay per user. For the other plans, nothing prevents you from having thousands of users and you’ll pay for any additional user beyond the user threshold of that plan.
Maker → unlimited users
Team/Business/Entreprise → pay extra per user beyond plan threshold

2 Likes

Not so sure about this… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Excellent response, thank you for your time. May I take the opportunity to ask the following regarding Glide plans?
Can I use a Team or Business plan for internal applications within my company and then have other teams with different plans (Maker) with unlimited users for third-party apps where they are not interested in dealing with subscriptions and accounts?, or also for personal MVPs. Is this allowed under Glide’s policy?

Thank you very much!

1 Like

“Teams” in the Glide dashboard are each meant to have their own subscription plan. Team, Business or Entreprise for an internal business application. Or Maker for a consumer-facing application.

For example, Team 1 could be on a Team plan for the marketing department, Team 2 coud be on an Entreprise plan for the customer support department, Team 3 could be a Maker plan for the product department. And so on.

So I would say you can have different subscriptions (=plans) for different departments within your company.

As for Glide’s policy: has anyone ever read any policy online? :innocent:

Thank you nathanaelb! and within the Team plan of my company, which has 20 users, unlimited apps, and 5000 updates, if I create different apps for the different departments: do the rows renew per app, or is the total of 25k for the entire plan? Can multiple users be part of the different apps, or will they be counted as new users? Thanks again for your time

Row count quotas are per App.
All other quotas are per team.

4 Likes