Sort columns - GlideTable

Hi there.
Is there a way to sort a column on GlideTable?
I have several rows unsorted, and i need to sort them on GlideTable not in the app.

2 Likes

Do you actually need them sorted in the table, or just in the app UI?

duh, ignore that. I can’t read :crazy_face:

1 Like

There’s no way to sort a Glide Table yet.

1 Like

wish I knew this before I started without a google sheet :frowning:

Just out of curiosity, why do you need your rows sorted in the Glide Table?

I’ll share a case I’ve ran into. My particular issue was fixed, so it’s not really an issue for me at the moment, but if you’re building dynamic html tables or quickchart urls, then it is nice to be able to sort since that is logic that is handled in the data, rather than the interface.

I explain an old bug that I found a while back and was fixed, but does present a case for sorting of some sort within the table, or at least through relations.

2 Likes

Actually yeah - very good point. And this is something that’s also occurred to me recently. I do a lot of that as well (building dynamic tables using joined lists), and just a day or two ago I was wondering what I would do when I hit a case where I need to order the data in the table (I haven’t yet).

I haven’t put much thought into it, but I’m not sure there would be a solution for that? I guess if the Glide Table is linked to a GSheet you could sort the GSheet and then sync it, but that wouldn’t help if you need dynamic sorting.

Sorting through relations would be ideal - perhaps a candidate for this weeks live coding session? :wink:

1 Like

When entering a lot of data directly into the table I easily forget if I have already entered something. I have been entering duplicate data. Sorting would help me easily view this without individual searches.

2 Likes

Okay, here is a little trick you can use to help avoid that:

• Let’s say you have a column called “Name”, and you want to avoid duplicates in that column
  • Create a multi-relation column that links the Name column to itself (rel-name)
  • Create a rollup column that does a count via that multi-relation (count-name)

Those two by themselves are enough to identify duplicates (count-name will be greater than 1), but to make it a bit easier to visually spot duplicates, create a 3rd if-then-else column:

• If count-name is greater than 1, then true
  • Else blank

So as soon as you enter a duplicate name, that column will immediately be true for that row

3 Likes

Just would like to upvote here and say it would be really nice if you could do basic sorting of data in Glide tables.

8 Likes

Bumping this again :grinning:

same here, bump! It’s early 2024… sorting rows, by at least one column, much less any column, would seem a great help in many daily scenarios, but primarily for the simple improved ability to scan and find data visually in a table!

We’re working on enhancements for the data editor. If you want to see a sneak peek, check out the open source Glide Data Grid project. :metal:t2:

5 Likes

Amazing!

:tada: New things I’m excited about:

• Copy down! :clap:
  • Sorting!

:space_invader: Bug I noticed:

• Relation icon and number icon seem to be assigned to the wrong columns

:grimacing: Primary concern:

• No undo! :scream: With copy down, it’ll be SUPER easy to accidentally overwrite data. NEED undo just in case.
1 Like

Great insights! I’d bring those directly to the issues tracker.

1 Like