🔧 Single Value Column Updates

There have been a few updates to the Single Value Column over the last few months.

You can now retrieve the – first, last, random, X from start, X from end – value from any table in your app or multiple relation in the current table.

You also have the option of ‘Whole row’ which acts a little like a relation. Read more in our docs.

12 Likes

Excellent!!!

I will test it out in one of my apps.

Interesting! :eyeglasses:

Sometimes I forget all of the potential in the Single Value column.

4 Likes

Looking over the doc, my mind is still blown by the use of a column to determine the single value dynamically. What would be a couple of practical applications of this? Maybe one column of images that are associated to a number 0-4. When a certain status = that number, then grab that image? How is this different than a relation/lookup though?

2 Likes

Does anyone has a use case of this?
I really wanna understand it better

2 Likes

It’s very meta. A relation when there is no relation.

Eg. A sheet with random quotes. Columns include the quote, the author and an image. You could do a single-value -> Random -> whole row to grab the row of a random quote within any other Glide table. Then use lookups to grab the elements of that row for display purposes.

3 Likes

Awesome, gotta try it

I used it the other day to bring over a random value. But I’m stuck there, I can’t think of any other use case.

2 Likes

Assuming I understand the behavior (I am not an expert like you guys), the first thing that came to mind was to use this to auto-populate a random default profile image for new users.

1 Like

Certainly possible! But that avatar will change every time they visit their profile page.

4 Likes

I was thinking about stuffing the random stock image URL as a default value when they create their profile for the first time.

2 Likes

If we need to use this for a system where we always need users to interact with a first or last row from a range then it would work.

Probably a “Latest show” or “Check in”, I can only think of that.

1 Like

Ohhh I love this. This is a great use case.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m currently using this to display a user’s latest form submission. Very simple to set up!

3 Likes