Single action = one update?

Hi

I have a button that increments a cell by 1 when tapped. The cell is connected to another table via relation/lookup and from this that number is added to existing points via a maths column. So about 25 rows are incremented with the single tap.

My question is whether tapping the button is one update, or is the number of updates equal to the number of rows being adjusted?

If the bot’s right I’m in a bit of a pickle. The rows being adjusted are coming from a computed column - the maths column. Do computed columns count as updates if no other columns are affected?

I’m 99.9% certain that’s just a single update. And if it isn’t, I’d say that’s a bug.

Imagine a table with 10,000 rows, with a single value column that’s then used in a template column.
Every time that single value changes, the value in the template will change in all 10,000 rows. And I can guarantee you that isn’t 10,000 updates, otherwise I’d be clocking up millions of updates every month.

1 Like

Good point, thank you. I was fairly sure that was the case but schools using the app are racking up huge amounts of updates to the point where they will go over their 25000 allocation well before the end of the month. So I’m looking at ways to reconfigure the app to reduce the updates, and that button was one I was looking at.

every increment - is a one update.
so, if you use in action several increments - it will be several updates.

There is only 1 increment in the action. It is spread to other rows via a lookup column then acted on in a maths column. As Darren said, computed arrays like this would burn through plans very quickly if they counted as updates

computed - don’t use updates.
i mean, if you make a custom action, that use several increments action - it will be several updates. so, better make SET COLUMN and write several increments at once - in this way it will be just one update

Computed columns don’t actually edit any data, so they don’t make updates.

3 Likes

What I’m interested in is one set column action that sets, let’s say, 10 cells at once. Is that 1 update or 10?

One action should be one update. Even if you set multiple columns in one set column action, then I believe they should be batched together as one update.

1 Like

Hopefully! Thanks for the response!

1 Like

No, now it’s like this: one action consisting of several increments - one update
Look Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software | Loom

i hope so.
before it was not. didn’t see any announcement about changes.

if check usage after several minutes - it didn’t go up?

Exactly. But if you use two increment in one action and increment to same row but different column it count one update.
If you use increment to different rows(actually i checked different table) in one action so it counted two updates. But everybody promises that must be one.
Or i misunderstand something?

It’s not possible to update two values in two different tables with one action.
You can do it as two separate steps in the same custom action, but technically that’s two separate actions.

That’s why it would be counted as two updates.

Thanks, Darren for explanation!
So to be clear: updates counted depend how many basic cells are changed during one action, because in a previous video i do increment in a two different action(in one custom action) but same row and column and two action counted once.
But delete row by multi relation? How many updates must be theoretically? I can’t figure from previous.
Actually deletion by multi relation counted multi times. But why? It is one action actually.
If i will do database maintenance i will empty all quotas and stop production.

Yes, that’s what I would expect, because it’s two separate actions (within a custom action).

I’m not sure, but I would say this counts as multiple updates because it’s operating on multiple rows.
The same thing happens if you delete rows via the API. You can send a bundle of 100 mutations to delete 100 rows in a single API call. But each mutation still counts as a separate update.

well, i see a rule: one row = one update.

in my project i remove all increments in custom action. some times it was hard, in case some counts need move to same table from different.

this why i prefer a google table.
there i can delete any quantity of rows by script = 1 sync

This works when the UX doesn’t suffer. If you NEED users to experience the deleted content instantly, then Google Scripts are just too slow.

However, for nightly cleanup tasks, etc, I agree = preferred.

1 Like