'Show Detail Screen' action for specific row

Hi All,

I’m using Glide for the first time. I have a screen in my app with a form container, a number entry component and a choice component. The data below is only a sample:

When an agreement number is entered (number entry component) and a serial number is chosen (choice component), an unlock code is then displayed (the unlock codes are loaded into the third column).

Everything works, but the unlock code that is returned is always the top row of the third column, not the row that corresponds to the row of the chosen serial number. How can I return a result that is row-specific?

What do you do with the selected Pump Serial Number value? ie. presumably you write that to a user specific column somewhere? You can use that to build a single relation to the table shown in your screen shot, and then use a lookup to fetch the appropriate Unlock Code value.

Hi Darren,

Currently, a new line is created underneath these lines that shows the entered agreement number, the selected pump number and the unlock code (altohugh it’s always the code from the top line currently).

Would it be better for those entries to write to a new sheet, is that how I would then build the single relation?

oh, sorry. I missed that you were using a form submission.

Just so I understand - does every Pump Serial Number have a unique Unlock Code?
And are these loaded in another table somewhere?

They aren’t currently loaded into another table. Would that be the way to organise it better? I need the agreement number to be entered first (required field) and a serial number chosen before the code can be revealed. I thought that form submission might be the easiest way to achieve that, but maybe not?

Sorry, I’m confused. I don’t really understand where the Unlock Codes are coming from.

Tell me - is the user in this case actually supposed to be adding new data to the database, or are they just trying to do a lookup on existing data?

They’re just trying to do a lookup on existing data. I need the number entry and serial number selection to mandatory though before they are able to lookup the code.

If the entered agreement number could populate to a sheet as well, that would be useful. Sorry, I didn’t explain that very well!

Okay, we’re getting there :slight_smile:

So if they’re doing a lookup on existing data, you almost certainly shouldn’t be using a form container, because that’s always going to add a new row.

Would I be correct in assuming that the “real” data - the data they’re trying to lookup on - exists in some other table? Can you show me what that table looks like?

It doesn’t exist yet, I’m waiting on the ‘real’ serial numbers. It would just be a list exactly like this though, with the serial numbers in one column and the codes in another.

Is there a way to do a lookup and only reveal the code once two mandatory actions have taken place (ie an agreement number has been entered and a pump number chosen?)

Yes, there is.

Let’s assume that you have that table with two columns - Serial Numbers and Codes.

I would create a separate single row helper table to drive the screen. Add the following columns to that table:

• RowID (doesn’t do anything, just ensures there is one row in the table)
  • User Specific text column (to hold the Agreement number)
  • User Specific text column (to hold the Unlock Code)

On your screen, don’t use a Form Container. Just add a normal container with the following components:

• Text Entry for the Agreement Number, which writes to the first User Specific column.
  • Choice Component that writes to the second User Specific column. This one should use the “master” table as the source:
    – Use the Serial number as “Display”
    – Use the Unlock Code as “Values”
  • The effect of the above should be that the user will see a list of Serial Numbers, and when they select one the Unlock Code will be written
  • Then all you need is a text component on the screen that shows the Unlock Code, and set the visibility on that component such that it’s only visible when both user specific columns are not empty.

The above might be exactly what you need, because I’m still not quite sure that I have the full picture.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your time Darren, I’ll try that later and see if it’s close to what I need. I’ll let you know the result!

Thanks so much Darren, that did work!

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.