Sheet Edits Quota—1000 per month?

You’ll have some nice options later today :wink:

4 Likes

My only issue so far is that it seems like edits made through the editor as part of the development process seem to count towards the # of edits. Is this a bug or by design?

1 Like

We’re working on fixing that.

3 Likes
7 Likes

The less expensive storage can import the data in Glide or GSheet??

2 Likes

I completed agree with @Krivo. Sheet edits shouldn’t be limited. I didn’t even notice and my app raced to 1000 edits and locked. Do not punish common developers.

If possible have a manual reload button of some kind. If I made change to my sheet then if I don’t press that button, don’t reload.

So the edit count is for structural changes to the sheet or data changes count too?

Can you explain how your sheet is edited?

Well. It is nothing special. I have my own style / flow when I create something with Glide. I keep an app in DEV, make-test-validate changes and then release it in PROD (which is PRO).

3 Likes

So, you are the only one editing the sheet? There is not a team of people editing it? Can you please be more specific? If you are using up 1,000 reloads just to build your app, we don’t want that.

2 Likes

Yes. The DEV app is accessed only by me. I use the editor to make changes. Then test is on various devices from the published URL. My 1000 edits filled up couple of days back. I refilled with 10$ boost just today AM. I am already 125 edits into my new limit.

So you hit the reload button 1000 times, or are you doing extensive testing that syncs data to the sheet 1000 times? I think they are trying to keep the monetary costs of syncing data to a minimum. I suppose extensive use of entry components on a detail view screen could up the edits count quickly, compared to a form or add/edit screen that only updates on submit.

I think there is something going on here. So my DEV app browser tab was open. Didn’t make any changes to the sheet or App layout. My edit count went up by 5. My sheet is being edited by the background google apps script though but the screen I was on was pure static home page type screen.

The screen you are on might be static, but I suppose if there is frequent background syncing happening and the data changes often, then that might get ya. Not sure how the background sync is designed to work, but I assume as long as the app is open, then it’s syncing, so the data is always ready when you open that view in the app.

Jeff thanks for explaining. So I didn’t touch anything. The count is now up by 5. @david, could you not sync or increase the sheet edit count when I am not on that browser tab? This is not good. I usually keep the glide tabs open in case I want to work on it. I now get it how I reached 1000 so fast.

1 Like

The edit count increases when your sheet is edited, not when you are merely looking at your app. Can you please make a video and send your app link to support@glideapps.com so we can investigate? It may be a bug.

@david

I thought you were saying that edits done in the editor would not count against the number of edits.

To me that would be a natural to be able to do all your development in the editor and then have edits done by the users in the app and that will count against the 1000 edits. If you have a lot a users and want to have them input data then you will have to update.

We do not want to count your development activity against your usage limits—it works against all of our interests to limit that. We’re continuing to monitor this, and have already made some changes to improve it.

7 Likes

Glide is great, yes. Glide is one of the numerous players to enable no-coders to transform their idea into reality, yes. Glide as any business/startup has to earn money, yes.

But also, as any StartUp, Glide is partly co-built by its early adopter users: via their feedback, their involvment to on-board new users on this forum, their demo without referral for months etc.

One balanced approach to think about (and applied by several startups) could be to apply new price/limitations to new users, not to the existing ones.

In addition to this, as many here testimonied choosing a no-code solution is an important investment for a user in terms of time, and a risk in case the startup fails; therefore, “Transparency” (as @Krivo) said is key.

@m I follow your channel on Youtube and I agree with you, I will be one more to stop using Glide, because to pay for a Pro value in Brazil is impossible.

1 Like

You got a good point!

I have to admit that the first (and now still the only) Pro package I paid, it was paid with misunderstood that it was a “All Pro apps per year” Before that my thoughts was going back and forth about was it worth it? Could I make a living by making apps? Then I had tried for few days to realise that I could cope with the framework and then I paid, with thoughts ready in my mind about “how many apps should I made per year to handle the subscription fee in total by dividing cost onto each app project” Then I decided to pay for Pro.

But then I knew I got the pricing model so wrong. It’s a one-pro-for-one-app model. Now I had to change my thoughts and stopped thinking about making serious business from every projects out of the service right away. I will only pay for Pro when my apps are desperately needed of rows, or when I could find the clients… Now you made me struggled of trying harder to make a living. And the Casual Sloth mode trial was eating me now instead…

The market position is so related to the business model at this point about how you’d expect your community to be; A lot of people creating casual apps, or a developer-wannabe-from-designer-side-who-think-they-know-the-logics to try on and then start make a living by Glide. Also maybe make the world a little better place one app a time.

From another view, what I thought was a common way to think about paying for a host yearly; A very common way of Developers to consider about the costs. I think Glide in looks pretty much like an SAAP with no database service (You are using a free Google Sheet, which is cool in a way) But you happened to have hosting, which I guess because setting up hosting by users could lead into something pretty messy some time. In conclusion, what I saw is a software service with hosting space service bundled.

This leads to the fact that, when you are trying to value “Sheet Editing” customer (users’) would not relate their thoughts to why should they pay. The Google Sheet is alway free. Reading the sheet might not free, but the service was pretty much part of the job description Glide should be able to do. The rest was “Storage” which I think, if I were you I will try to work that out and see who uses up my storage space and they could be the one to share the costs with you by a right revenue model.

In the end, I think the SAAP part for the interfaces and logics are good to name any price (which you already did in Pro package I guess) And the other part is the Storage where you can name the price. And many more. But please don’t calculate something out of your mandatory way of work. Users could notice way too fast that they don’t deserve it even it sounds fair to Glide. That’s what I think.

cc @david