Row Owners based on Google Sheet Arrayformula VLOOKUP

we have 2 tables based on 2 google sheets
Orders - columns: orderNum, status
Items - columns: orderNum, itemName, price …

using vlookup, arrayformula we find the order status from the orders table and place it in the items google sheet.
then based on this order status, we fill in the row owners columns in the google sheet.

so for example
if order is shipped. row-owner-1 = “admin”, row-owner-2=“accountant”
if order is not shipped. row-owner-1=“admin”, row-owner-2=“operations”

can row owners be used like this. If an order status is changed, how will this reflect on the user’s device. Even in the glide editor changes like this seem confusing and not clear to monitor.

I think the short answer is yes, but the thing to keep in mind is that row owners are applied before data is downloaded to a users device. So if the row owner value is changed after data has been downloaded, then the change on the user device probably won’t be immediate.

I did some testing with this a while back, where I added a row from a device and at the same time included a row owner value that the signed in user didn’t have. Initially, the newly added row remained visible, and it only disappeared some time later after a data sync.

I can’t help wondering whether you actually need row owners for your described use case. Wouldn’t it be simpler to just use the order status as a filter?

Or are you using row owners in order to minimise the amount of data downloaded to each users device?

2 Likes

Hi @Darren_Murphy

Its not for security, for this, i only need row owners to decrease the amount of data downloaded to a users device.

Users are complaining of many app restarts and app going offline. Its hard to tackle these issues, surely reducing the amount of data downloaded and the amount of computations made by 70-80% must help right?

yeah, for sure. Row owners are a good way to address that, which is why I asked the question.

Anyway, getting back to your original question, I think your approach is fine. I know it doesn’t always reflect well in the builder, but row owners should always be correctly applied on user devices. The only caveat would be that one I already mentioned:

2 Likes