Renaming, editing or moving columns not working

Not a fix, but maybe a short term workaround… what if you just create new columns to replace those that you can’t edit, and then delete the originals?

I’ve already did this… but it’s so many columns related that everytime this stuck somewhere.

I won’t do this again for the 4th time.

1 Like

@Lucas_Pires

Could you create a support ticket? https://glide-help.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

I’ve already created too…

To follow up on the particular issue @Lucas_Pires has: the change he wants to do would introduce a cycle in the computed columns, which Glide cannot compute. Right now Glide silently refuses to make a change that results in a cycle (except for printing an error on the Javascript console). We’re working on an explanatory message that also makes it clear which columns are involved in the cycle.

6 Likes

this is not only affecting computed columns, but a simple name column change is not working either.

In the vid below I tried renaming a few different column types by adding 2 at the end to see if the new name sticks, and it doesn’t.

@Rogelio Could you share a support link, please?

1 Like

@Mark Would a cycle be the same as an infinite loop (sorry for my terminology, it’s just for my understanding).

Mark,

just sent you the link privately.

thank you

Kinda. It’s complicated :wink:

Yes, what Mark is saying is that certain computed column configurations would cause a cyclical dependency that would not resolve. Here is a post that can explain it better than I can How to fix the “Circular dependency detected” error in Google Sheets

Gilde tries to detect that before the save and will not let you save it.

Obviously just renaming a column and not being able to save it is a different issue that needs to be investigated separately.

Just looked at it. This is actually a completely unrelated bug. It’ll be fixed on Wednesday at the latest. But we’ll try to expedite it.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s related… each time I create a new column in a Glide table, the table refreshes and brings me back to the far left of the table. This has been happening all week.

It’s unrelated. It’s on our to-do list.

4 Likes

@Mark I’ve read through this thread, is the fact that reordered tables in Glide don’t stay where they’re moved to part of the identified issue(s)?

For example in the Tables tab of the builder, if I’ve got 20 tables and move tables 18, 19 and 20 to the top of the list, these tables only stay at the top of the list while I have that app’s builder open. Once I close that app in the builder and relaunch it, the tables go back to their previous order and now tables 18, 19 and 20 are back down at the bottom of the list.

I’ve also seen this discussed here — Sheet Order Is Not Maintained — but haven’t seen any movement or update there. Thanks!

1 Like

Closing due to inactivity. This topic will be deleted in a few weeks if there are no more comments.