Private Chat Component

It would be awesome to have.

7 Likes

yeah i agree with you

Oh yes!

And with the ability (unlike comments component) to be able to flag when there is a new message to be able to do things like, set a tab to be visible when a user opens the app. This would be a get-around for flagging a new message in-place of notifications.

2 Likes

Perfect!

The private chat component can also be done with the comment component or note component

that is what we used check this out

6 Likes

Right. This is the same concept as my messenger app that I created months ago:

It’s close, but it’s not a true Chat experience.

2 Likes

Okay, I have released about 7-8. Chat apps. Being Absolutely honest, our manufactured chat apps are a pointless exercise. It’s time for a native one. I saved my reputation with tawk to :rofl:but we still need a Glide push notification functionality (and one that actually works on all devices). Come on David! Ppl are laughing at us. Help us!

5 Likes

Amen to that :grin: No push notifications = poor product engagement = app more likely to fail. :weary: Glide is too fantastic to let this happen! Sorry for second tag today @david! I have to imagine there is a team at Glide already furiously chipping away at this.

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Good one. Let’s hope it wakes David up!

1 Like

It feels like there are dozens of these push notification requests too. Our source of frustration on the push notifications lies with Apple, not the Glide team. They’d be all in right away if PWA’s could send push notifications to the iOS users. Lean on the folks at Apple for a bit and let’s leave these guys alone. It’s not theirs to fix.

3 Likes

I’m fairly new here, and new to PWA’s, but my understanding of these requests is to enable push notifications when certain key actions occur in the app, nor limited to chat, such as, for example: You receive a message, you receive a comment, you have a new form/survey available, an issue that you reported has a new status. I realize these are examples base on my use cases but probably applicable to many other applications. These cannot be entirely in Apple’s purview? Kindly correct me if I have misunderstood! I do realize this particular thread is about chat…

1 Like

There are pages of hits when you google “web push notifications ios pwa”, but I’m only posting my first hit. It truly does lie in the hands of the folks at Apple.

Web Push Notifications for iOS

For the time being, Web Push Notifications are not yet available for iOS. The nice thing is that Steve Jobs came up with the first concept for Progressive Web Apps (PWA) 10+ years ago. In this concept, he mentioned the ability to send Push Notifications from your web app.

Although it is not yet possible for iOS, Web Push Notifications are supported by browsers such as Google Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Opera. These browser notifications are all supported on operating systems like Linux, Windows, and MacOs.

Source: Will Web Push Notifications Be Available For iOS in 2020?

5 Likes

Yes Tim your right. Glide has been pushing them publicly for it. Fingers crossed October/November Then this will all be behind us.

2 Likes

There is already limited notifications for select items like chat that already exist, but only us Android users see them. Every once in awhile I’ll get a random notification from one of @Robert_Petitto’s apps where somebody comments. Like @Tim_Sullivan mentioned, Apple is the hang up here. I’m sure Glide isn’t going to build it out more until Apple comes around. Otherwise all the apple user’s would still be complaining.

4 Likes

what of android users for know let us be given the ability to create our own notifs

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying and sharing this! It makes more sense now. Glide seems to have a carefully thought out and well executed roadmap and this explains why some of these notifications are not already available for iOS. :heart:

2 Likes

Pro vs Free aside, can you imagine the forum if Glide added full notification functionality that only half the users could use? It would be non-stop complaints. And the nightmare for all of us that would have to explain this over and over to every new user. There’s already functionality that I’ve personally explained over and over hundreds of times.

8 Likes

Just to the new developers here on the forum!

4 Likes

I assure you, after working on mobile for the last decade and publishing apps to the app stores, I understand what push notifications are and why they are useful.

The reason Glide apps today do not have push notifications is because Apple does not allow them unless you go to the App Store. We are working on App Store publishing.

13 Likes