Order log in the same Cell (Order History)

Hello!

I’m trying to create an action that saves an order status in the same cell in a Google Sheets.

This is needed in order to show the different order statuses (order history) as a log.

Something like:

01/14/2023 10:07 - Order created
01/15/2023 10:07 - Order delivered

I know that I can do that creating a new sheet and adding a new row each time there’s a change in status where I include the timestamp, order ID and status, but, I will like to have everything in the same sheet, adding the additional data in a column for the same order ID row.

Does anyone know how to do it?

Thanks in advance!!

It’s possible.

The simplest approach would be to use a joined list, and append a new item to the list each time there is a status change. You could use a CRLF as a list separator, so the end result would be as per your example.

A more complex approach would be to create a JSON structure and append to that. I would probably only suggest this approach if you had several attributes to be saved with each status change, and needed to be able to display it as a list and/or edit individual entries. This approach requires some advanced techniques including the use of JavaScript.

2 Likes

Thanks Derren!
Do you have any tutorial or additional information about how to build it using this way:

“The simplest approach would be to use a joined list, and append a new item to the list each time there is a status change. You could use a CRLF as a list separator, so the end result would be as per your example.”

Thanks!

Have a look at the below tutorial:

For your use case, you won’t need to be creating relations to the data. But you should pay careful attention to how items are added to and removed from the list.