Optimising an app for speed

Hi

I’m working on a “dashboard” app - reading data from a “master” table then displaying a status icon for each row (all ok, non-urgent issue, urgent issue etc). Just two values need to be shown.

Users would have access to just one row of the master table and be able to update the status themselves for the organiser to monitor on the dashboard.

I’m keen for it to be as responsive as possible - so if a status is updated it’s reflected in the dashboard as quickly as possible.

Any tips?

I’d work with Glide Tables. Anything else? I need to keep a “log” too so my hunch is to have a separate log table with relations between the log and the master. But would relations take a little time to update? Maybe I could write to the log AND a basic column in the master table to get the best of both worlds.

Thanks
Andrew

I would use the fetch column for that… Glide Native sync is slow… up to 10 sec or even longer… but if a 10-second delay is ok with you… then, is all good

How many rows do you expect in the Master table?
When you say users would have access to just one row, is that because there would only be one row in the table, or would each user have access to a different row, determined by row owners?

Also, how big do you expect the log table to grow, and what is the purpose of the relation?

Based on what you’ve shared, I wouldn’t be too concerned about performance. As long as your Master isn’t a Big Table, then any changes made by one user should be visible to all other users within a few seconds.

1 Like

Hi

Thanks for the replies

Only about 50 rows in my “Master” table.

No row owners applied other than on the user table. I could have many users needing to see individual rows on the master table so don’t think row owners would work

Changes are fairly instant at the moment in testing but keen to get it as snappy as possible

Andrew