Multiple google sheet as source

Hi!

Is it possible to add more than 1 google sheet as a source?
Or do we have to work on the same one and create different tabs?

You must do it on one source only. May we know what’s your use case here?

Hi @ThinhDinh !
Ok no worries, I was trying to add workout for my clients but each workout is different for each client. So instead of having all workouts on the same file as the rest of my app content, I would have used different files :slight_smile:

1 Like

Use one sheet for all workouts, just add a new column for the client name so each workout is linked to a client.

This column can then be used for creating relations/filters/row owners so that it’s seen only to the client you want to show it too.

That way you won’t need multiple sheets/apps.

2 Likes

I think we are going to run into a problem with needing multiple sheets for a different reason. I think we are going to exceed the allowed number of cells/rows/sheets in Google sheets. What then?

1 Like

If you get to the point of exceeding the limitations of a google sheet, then it’s most likely that you would well exceed the limitations of glide. Would you be attempting to use all of your sheet data in a glide app, or only some of the data? Google allows for 5 million cells. At Glide’s Max of 25k rows, that would allow for 200 columns. Would you be exceeding that? I think you would run into some serious lag at that point. That’s a lot of data to synchronize between google, glide, and each end user.

2 Likes

The number of columns will not be that high but row count will be, and number of tabs.

We are an independent insurance agency, building an app to manage clients and allow transparency and easy policy servicing across hundreds of insurance companies.

The issue is that a client who has been with us for 10 years, has 4 cars, 5 people in the household, a home policy, boat policy, auto policy with related vehicles and drivers, etc. Coverage is in one table, drivers in another, vehicles in another, and each one is listed for every policy in the history. We need to show cancelled policies for at least a year because there is an option to reinstate. We also move clients from one insurance company to another, which causes multiple entries of the vehicle, drivers and coverage…it’s a pretty complex app I’m building, and due to the way the data comes through the API I have not been able to eliminate duplicate rows by placing the vehicle/driver IDs in separate columns. So the end result is 10000 vehicles, 15000 contacts, 5000 rows of coverage, 5000 rows of various other details spread across 50 tabs, with tons of relationships and lookups along the way. So far everything is running fine with no issues in glide pages,however in glide app it would take 30 seconds plus for each click to respond. I am just not sure what I’m going to do when I run out of cells in the future. Do you know the limitations for rows and cells in Microsoft excel sheets and and airtable? I’m thinking that I should split up the databases for some of the bigger tables across all 3, which would buy me some time to figure out how to archive the old stuff. Will lookups and relationships work across different databases?

This math works when you are thinking there is only one tab of data in your sheet.

When you are using multiple tabs for different data sets, you run into this limit quickly. Stacker allows multiple sources and more than one connection for each source. I think this is the direction you should head. It seems after months of work we are now forced to find a new alternative. What are the limitations of the Glide tables? Is there an app that will allow you to easily schedule daily GET requests to pull data from our CRM? Zapier is out of the question as you only have triggers and no actions, and also the data size would cost a fortune to run daily syncs.

Hola,

it might be an option for you: https://community.glideapps.com/t/a-google-sheet-working-as-a-rest-api-good-or-bad-idea/

are there any plans to allow more than one google sheet to be attached to an app? This issue has become critical. We may need to find a new option to build in. I’ve noticed most other low-code platforms do allow multiple sheets to be connected. I like Glide the best, but if we can’t keep the data updated, it’s all for nothing. Other than this one critical failure, Glide is the best app builder I’ve seen, and I’m pretty sure I’ve looked at all of them.

If you’re using Sheets, maybe IMPORTRANGE is your friend, albeit you won’t be able to directly add/edit/delete rows in the imported sheet.

IMPORTRANGE is a function in Google Sheets that allows you to import data from one sheet to another within the same or a different workbook. It takes two arguments: the first is the URL of the sheet you want to import the data from, and the second is the range of cells you want to import. The range is specified in the format “SheetName!A1:Z”, where “SheetName” is the name of the sheet containing the data, and “A1:Z” is the range of cells to be imported.

For example, if you have a sheet named “Sheet1” in a workbook with the URL “https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz” and you want to import the data in the range A1:Z from that sheet into your current sheet, you would use the formula =IMPORTRANGE(“https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz","Sheet1!A1:Z”)

It is important to note that in order to use IMPORTRANGE, you must have permission to access the sheet you are importing data from and also the sheet using the function must be shared with the same email address associated with the sheet you want to import from.

It isn’t very easy, but you can actually connect to unlimited google spreadsheets and rows…

This looks interesting. how do I use it?