Customize Map marker icons/pins

Hello!

Many thanks to Glide teams for all the amazing work they’ve achieved so far!

I have a map-based application and I was wondering if it would be possible to show different category of items in different colors (or icon) on my map?

For instance if my app is showing bars and restaurants around me, would it be possible to show “bars” in red pin points and “restaurants” in blue? From a Google sheet perspective this feature could be setup thanks to a “type of pin point” column in which I would need to enter wether the line item is bar or restaurant (or whatever I’m showing on my map).

In the end, what would be awesome is to let the possibility to the App user to filter what he wants to see (bars or restaurants or both) in the map… =)

Best,

11 Likes

Can’t help with pin colors, but check out Dynamic List Filter in https://concepts.glideapp.io/ . Maybe you could do something like that to filter by type.

1 Like

@Clement
I’ll second this idea as it would give devs the ability to also brand their accent color in another spot in the app. I would also make the suggestion to carry this color customization to inline text links as well. Right now, inline links in markdown are just underlined in the default text color. It would be great to have these links also tied to Settings > Accent Color. :+1:

3 Likes

I like you’re solution of a filtered inline list with a map layout !

It works for what I want to do (except if my App user wants to show all bars and restaurants :wink: ), maybe not for @gannonatwork though.

Many thanks!

2 Likes

+1 to the request of map pin colors based on an attribute

3 Likes

+1 my users requested this so they could see the different types of locations on the map at a glance

I will be using filtering in the mean time

2 Likes

nice, I have a question:
your filters, I tried them butthey accept only 5 filters per shown row, and are ugly, have you tried other kind of filters?

Well, I wasn’t going for asthetics. Just the concept. Plus the concept is quite old and hasn’t been updated with the latest Glide features. Just display a list instead of a choice component if that’s what you prefer.

sure I understand, I’m now trying to use a list or more than one as those kind of filters, not so easy though :frowning:

Well, I think a series of inline lists, set with an action to set a user specific column for each list, in combination with filtering each list by the screen value of the column set in the previous list, then following the directions in this post should get you what you need.

1 Like

thank you, unfortunately as I said, that method is limited to max 5 entries and is ugly, I’ll see if I can find a solution

That’s why I mentioned to use a list with the set column action instead of a choice component. The concept in @Robert_Petitto’s post would then allow you to filter your final results based on those set column values and also account for empty selections on subsequent lists.

It’s the exact same concept as using choice components, but with inline lists instead.

3 Likes

You were right, that’s what I was looking for, thank you a lot for replying, you were very helpful

1 Like

Link to similar topic

Has there been any new solutions for this?

Adalo just released their version… Glide, you’re up.

1 Like

Not sure how you’d assign colors to categories, but perhaps it would work identically to charts where the markers take on a color from the color theme per unique category value?

+1 for this idea, glide team.

A bit of inspiration on how maps and custom markers and texts could be used on the same map - I would like something like that to be possible on a native map

But note that you cannot interact with the map directly - and notice that the solution isn’t really scalable

3 Likes