đŸŒȘ Use Multiple Choice Components to Filter an Inline List

This is because your tab has sorting applied. Remove the sorting (which isn’t needed for a details view) and you should be good to go.

5 Likes

Great tutorial as always.
I was literally completing a tutorial for multifilter tutorial on reale estate demo yesterday :man_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

@darder You’re right. What I mentioned is not exactly how @Robert_Petitto showed, but as pointed out, if you start using filtering or sorting on a details layout, or delete a row, then sometimes you can have unexpected results when mixing entry data that’s only on the first row of an existing sheet. Not saying it’s wrong to do this, but just be aware if you start to see data in other rows like you did.

1 Like

Nicely done!

Unfortunately those filters are limited to max 5 entries and the space for the text gets really compressed.

I’m trying using a list as a filter, it’s complicate, but maybe not impossible

I haven’t gone trough all the video since it was using a method I’m not interested in, the set columns is what I’m working with but I’d need to set all the columns of every product I want to filter to have a direct relation.

It’s still a wip

Not sure I understand what you mean by having to set columns for each product. You would only need to set column values using the ‘set column’ action in a single row. This can be in a separate filter sheet that you would use for your tab, or the product sheet, which will only need to update the first row. I recommend a separate sheet because it’s cleaner and easier to understand. So say you have 3 levels of lists, and you only choose to select a filter on the first 2 lists. That will fill the first two of three user specific columns in the sheet of the tab you are using to display the filers. Using Robert’s method, you would go to your products sheet and then in there you would create either three single value columns to pull the values from the filter sheet, or use some sort of single relation and three lookup columns to pulling the three user specific filter values. Then you create the proper IF THEN columns to determine if a product matches the filters. If all three If Then values are true, you can set your final list filter on the product list to display the item.

I really encourage you to watch the whole video as it explains the concept very well. It’s fundamentaly the same as what you want, but you would use inline lists instead of choice components.

5 Likes

Wow, this is the kind of video I would love to have in a FAQ / Wiki kinda section! Didn’t know this but was looking for it for quite a bit!

1 Like

I love it. Thanks @Robert_Petitto

THANK YOU!!! @Robert_Petitto @SantiagoPerez

This is all @Robert_Petitto!! I’m just here to learn

You are an excellent conduit! Grateful for your presence on the forums, @SantiagoPerez!

2 Likes

Hi @Robert_Petitto, thank you for your elegant solution!

It works well for me, but I have a problem. In my app, a user clicks a “Search”, button, that opens a search screen, then fills in the filters (say, Date, Gender, and City), then a “List Relation” link appears at the bottom, that shows the number of items that fit the search criteria, and opens the list when one clicks on it.

However, if the same user starts over again from the Home screen, he or she will see the search page pre-filled with filters set last time. This is not cool, how can I change that?

I’ve tried two things that don’t work:

• Making a custom action for the “List Relation” link, adding “Set columns” - “Clear values” to it. Even if you put this action after “Link to screen”, it will still show a blank screen. I guess, all actions have to be completed before the screen is changed.

(Btw, not all actions work this way - for example, if you put a “Show notification” before “Navigate to tab”, it will show over the target tab, not before it).

• Making a custom action for the “Search” button (that opens the search page), adding “Set columns” - “Clear values” there. This can’t be done, because “Set columns” only works on the current sheet, or on a sheet that has a relation to the current sheet. The “Home” screen only has two buttons, and there’s nothing in this sheet to relate to.

What would you advise to do?

Where are you storing the “choices”? I assume you can use a single value column to link to that row, or a relation.

1 Like

This is what I would suggest
I’d have to play around with it to be sure.

1 Like

I am not sure I understand this completely. I store the choices in the first row of user-specific columns and have a set of single-value columns (one for each choice), that multiply the choice to all rows. Exactly as described in the topic-starting video.

You can point a single value column from your current sheet to the sheet that you store the choices, use the “whole row” option, then with a set column action, clear all values through that single value “relation”.

3 Likes

superb! I got a use case this could be used with, in a much simpler way than mine, lol. Kudos to @Robert_Petitto !

I actually figured out the other way around, but similar - I already had a single value column “Dummy True” in my sheet with choices, that gets the value from one field in the “Home” sheet. So I just made a relation column between the two, and it worked.

It’s a bit weird that you can make a relation between a single-value column and the column where this value comes from. Looks like a loop to me, but works so far :slight_smile:

Thank you anyway!

1 Like