Map Pins display at incorrect locations

Yes, because then you allow the user to enter/edit the address as parts, and the map works – you get both of the things you want, not just one.

1 Like

It should be identical…I prefer that method because then users will enter addresses in a more standardized way. That, and you can include choice components for state selection to avoid some users entering “VA” and other entering “Virginia”

1 Like

I have found the most accurate method is to geocode ordinary addresses into co-ordinates. This can be done is Google Sheets with the Geocode from Awesome Tables add-on.

It will look up the addresses and output 2 columns: lon and lat. Then we simply concatenate the values of both columns into one column (with the lon & lat values separated by a comma). This the column we use to generate the map.

2 Likes

I was testing location component on an add form and noticed that my pin is significantly misplaced when testing the app in developer mode in chrome browser on mac compared to using the published app on ios which gave an accurate pin location.

Is this to be expected? And if so, briefly why?

Appreciate any feedback

Depends. Does your Mac have a GPS? Are location services enabled on the browser and your Mac? The location component is going to get as close as it can. My laptop gets within a mile of my actual location. It does not have a built in gps. At best it’s probably getting your location based on your IP and ISP. Works fine on my phone, but obviously my phone has a built in gps and location permissions are enabled to pinpoint my precise location instead of a general location.

4 Likes

Makes sense - thank you @Jeff_Hager - I now understand why phone is better - they were both.(phone and mac) working on same wifi network so assuming phone’s gps rendered more accurate result.

1 Like

I am having the same problem.

I have two sets of lat, long data from 2 images. The data represents photos that were taken just a couple of feet from each other, and both in a park in Sunnyvale, California. I have (37.381945, -122.025369) and (37.381973, -122.025377). If I plug these numbers into Google maps they are right where they should be, but in the Glide app I am seeing 1 pin in Washington state, and 1 pin in Pakistan. :frowning:

I would double check that you entered the coordinates correctly in your table, and that the map address setting is looking at the correct column in the table. Can you share some screenshots of your table and the mall settings?

1 Like

Looks to be correct for me.

2 Likes

Thank you for the help everyone. I was mishandling the location data for the maps in the general settings. Fixed and easy peasy.

The comments help me understand what a good community there is here, which keeps me going through these inane errors I am making. Thank you everyone.

2 Likes

Thanks Jeff, I had the data correctly entered, but was pointing the address to the wrong cell in the table. End of day error that could have been fixed with a few more hours of sleep or another coffee.

1 Like

Thanks for checking. It was a settings error on my part.

1 Like

No worries, feel free to let us know if you face any further problems!

1 Like