Make apps work offline

Probably the best bet is just to ask users to take photos then upload them later when they have connection. I know it’s not ideal at all for your case but we can’t do more than that at the moment.

Let me know if I can help more. Have a nice day.

1 Like

I think that offline data would allow the devs of the apps to add many functions to the app e.g. content that cannot currently cannot be accessed without online access. In our case, all our content should be somehow stored in order to be used offline.

Yes, It would be awesome to have that option. I live in a rural area and would benefit from this for sure.

bumping up.
I read that PWAs can naturally store offline content (like cache) and that lists can at least be shown without the internet and then if users want to submit a form, there will be a notification to go online.

Please!! I really need this feature. I’m making a project which this feature is indispensable. I need that to users see their code in the app!

Any news guys?

David from glide indicated in January 2020 that the functionality was close - but glide must have had other priorities.
It is a crucial functionality for grand events where internet connectivity is often lacking

2 Likes

I see your point and his. But, i see this feature as priorite. If glide had this feature, would be ahead of thousands others no-code app websites. It’s been an entire year since he said he was close

Could you not build into the app a way to store the data entered temporarily then when it goes back online it will update, that way you can use it in offline mode for data entry.

3 Likes

Anyone from the Glide team have any news on this? Pushing out this feature for just the public apps for now (and continuing to work on it for Private) would still be a major win.

Thank you!

1 Like

We’re still waiting!

Hi, for offline form submission, we were using ODK Collect. But since Glide is so cool. we made sure there is internet everywhere in our building so that they can use the app. speaking of ODK, they use the google drive for temporary storage, they only have android apps though. Im not sure how it works but maybe glide can make a way. Go @david !

2 Likes

Hey @david / Glide Team - Bumping up this thread in the May of 2021. Is there any update on if and when can the fellow Glide team can see this magic happen? The app that I am working also relies on offline mode and this was the most asked question during a brainstorming session earlier in the day.

“Will the app work even when there is no cellular(internet) signal?”

Pls Pls Pls

@Shiv it could be close…

Yes but still - No :frowning: My requirement is to write than reading.

In my use-case, If am on the field and taking notes ( geo-tagging & adding images ) on the fly, there should be some way of storing all the data offline in some csv or other format which syncs up to the server once we are back in a proper signal.

The key thing is doing geo-tagging of images while in a region where there is no internet.

If Glide comes up with an innovative way of resolving this then i have a winner :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello everyone, first post here in the Glide community. Reason being, I’ve been diving into Glide’s features and I really prefer it over the no-code app I have been experimenting with: Appsheet. However, the thing that’s keeping me on Appsheet right now is its ability to work offline as a critical feature. We need a particular field service app to have this functionality, else it cannot function properly. We’d 10000% make the switch to Glide if offline functionality was made available. Please make it happen!

@david will you provide an update on the offline functionality. You indicated that it should be live around May 20th 2021 but seems it is postponed.

3 Likes

We will try to release it again next week. We had to turn it off because it didn’t work reliably enough yet.

6 Likes

@david thanks for telling. Is there a limit to how much data could be available offline- fx 2 GB of images - or maybe only 50 MB on iOS

This is really awesome! Coming from country with very poor internet this will be helpful for most cases :pray:

Thanks!

https://community.glideapps.com/t/please-help-us-test-offline-mode/28334

1 Like