Incorrect Map Coordinates on lookup

So for a free app I’m playing around with I’ve hit the address based lookup limit of 10. So I’m busily converting my 20 odd entries to coordinates based - as per here.

It’s not accurate though, all coordinates are a little off after I read them from the URL as the docs suggest and add them into my app. There is some kind of translation happening that changes the coordinate a little - rendering it inaccurate.

Here is an example / my process.

  1. Look up ‘All Day Donuts / 12 Edward St, Brunswick VIC 3056’
  2. Google URL = link
  3. Coordinates following the URL details noted in the docs should be -37.7741777,144.959513

Viewing in app…

App: https://mellowyellow.glideapp.io/

Go to the second tab (Eating & Drinking) and All Day Donuts should be up the top, I’ve used the
coordinates field for a basic text field and map directly below it. I can see the visual map representation is incorrect and when you click through it is incorrect too.

It’s nearly 1am here so I’m probably missing something supremely obvious… appreciate any thoughts.

When I look up that location manually and then share a link to it (done through Google Maps on my phone), the url that gets shared gives me the following coordinates:

-37.774182,144.9617017

Slightly different than yours, not sure why.

I have exactly the same issue… :slightly_frowning_face:

@Paul you are using a different part of the link then @shchc @Francois1 look at the bold part of the link below.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/All+Day+Donuts/@-37.774182,144.959513,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x6ad6434aae344a81:0xf911a68b20458097!2s12+Edward+St,+Brunswick+VIC+3056,+Australia!3b1!8m2!3d-37.7741686!4d144.9616568!3m4!1s0x6ad6434ab0db47a7:0x87311ef37d227348!8m2!3d-37.774182!4d144.9617017

2 Likes

I suggest to find coordinates on OpenStreetMap, I think Mapbox uses the same source.

1 Like

Thanks @thebepps!

It means that the GIF here is not true.

We should take the coordinates at the end of the URL.

1 Like

Interesting! We can improve this.

2 Likes

Ahhh thx team! Ok so to take the correct coordinates in that link you need to use the end coordinates, replace the ‘!4d’ with a ‘,’ and it works. :+1:

  1. https://www.google.com/maps/place/All+Day+Donuts/@-37.774182,144.959513,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x6ad6434aae344a81:0xf911a68b20458097!2s12+Edward+St,+Brunswick+VIC+3056,+Australia!3b1!8m2!3d-37.7741686!4d144.9616568!3m4!1s0x6ad6434ab0db47a7:0x87311ef37d227348!8m2!3 d-37.774182!4d144.9617017
  2. -37.774182!4d144.9617017 = -37.774182,144.9617017
  3. -37.774182,144.9617017 searches to link. :heavy_check_mark:

Looks good!

If @david can improve on this, or maybe provide some =IMPORTHTML calcs magic that’d make life easier for most. :+1::+1:

1 Like

This looks interesting. I’ll test a little.

https://willgeary.github.io/data/2016/11/04/Geocoding-with-Google-Sheets.html

1 Like

As a note it seems that I’m still running into the map limit reached notes on my free apps (not the one in the example above as I’ve gone Pro there) using coordinates instead address lookups.

As a workaround I’ve gone columns view (not bad) for my respective tabs, just means the map rendering isn’t being done until someone clicks into a specific property. Not the end of the world.

Still if the Maps list / view option using coordinates instead of addresses (to avoid lookup quotas etc) was a doable that’d be great.

I ran into the limit in one of my apps. I switch to coordinates, but I still had the warning message. If I recall, I just had to refresh the page or the component or something like that. Once I did that, the warning message went away and I could have more than 10 points using coordinates.

1 Like

I’ve certainly refreshed the spreadsheet and pages… I’ll remove and re-add the component and double check. :+1: