How to use dynamic data studio thumbnails

Is there a know way to have data studio thumbnail links match the name of a person on a details page? (Assuming all the names in glide app and data studio are identical)

Are those thumbnails linked with their Gmail account?

Thanks for your reply.

They are not linked.

The data studio thumbnails are created from a data set in google sheets.

That same data set is used again in glide. The users are not connected in any other way.

Can you give me an example of a Data Studio profile with the image you want to generate?

In data studio I have a drop down list of 1000 names. Once a name is selected there are a variety of score cards and graphs that are generated based on the name selected.

Given that I only have one data studio sheet (and not one for each person) the better question is, could you create a dynamic thumbnail that would change for each name in a list in data studio?

So that is a dynamic data studio dashboard, not like every single person has their own “page” with a URL?

Correct. One page for all names. Drop down list to change.

you are talking about Google Data Studio right?

Yes google data studio

Yes, this can be done. I tested this concept in my initial evaluation of Glide apps months back.

It is not so much something you need to do on the Glide app side. If I remember correctly this was the approach:

1. Create dashboard in Google Data Studio (GDS) with the drop down for “name” selection (I think when i was doing this i had to take into consideration the resolution/canvas size on the GDS layout so it would project via a phone interface correctly.
  2. In GDS, there is a way to generate links with parameterized values, when these links are engaged they navigate to the GDS report (in this case our dashboard) and display the info/display for the passed parameter. (This was some time ago, dont have the links handy but not hard to find instructions promise)
  3. In GDS again, hide the drop down select/input box by “sending-it-back” behind some other UI component (this is simply so that it is not accessible by the end user)
  4. In your Google Sheet, add a field in your “user” table for “GDS Dashboard Links”. Map all the links to the folks. That will get it done, when the user activates the link via glide component (button for example) a browser will open and render the GDS report.

… So the reason I stopped this exploration was 2 fold. Firstly, the method one is using to make it so that the end user can NOT select a different “name”/parameter is NOT robust/NOT safe in the most technical sense of the word. Also, I was at the time concerned with a savvy user intercepting that URL and then manipulating it somehow.

This alone should cause trepidation in this method. But also around that time Glide had just rolled out updated/enhanced chart components - and these really did the job! Over time they have continued to enhance this component type. I am sure they will continue to enhance the charts to allow for even more flexibility and layouts/details.

I am only posting to help save you some effort and in the event you proceed down this approach that you are fully aware of the potential pitfalls of this method.

3 Likes

This is very helpful thank you very much. I have been amazed with Glide so far and look forward to everything they have to offer.

I’m going to attempt the above because my app is only intended for one end user, so the security of changing the links is not such a concern for us. (Though really appreciate you pointing that out!)

Thanks again!

Thanks for this report @JWazar

I have time trying to find out a way to “generate links with parameterized values” as you wrote.

Also, I have tested to view some GDS reports on Glide using Webview component but no luck, could you do it?

Saludos

1 Like

@gvalero - your welcome.

… This was some time ago, when the world was different. I’ll check and see if I can find my notes this weekend from way back then and post the links to this specific component documentation on GDS. Thought it would be easier to find via google search, sorry.

And I wasn’t using Web view component because it did not exist back then. I think I loaded it as a blurry image or button/link that then open the link in phones browser.

2 Likes

right… the world was quite different in 2019!! :rofl:

Thanks